Need help with system for my car wash

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys -

Been lurking here trying to read & learn as much as possible. Hopefully I can tap some of the knowledge & experience here for my situation.

Current system in one of my washes is a PC based ( EyeMax ) 16 camera analog system(2 being PTZ's). I like the interface on the software, but it's time to upgrade. Obviously, this place isn't Vegas or some jewelry shop, but I need to oversee the premises, both day and night, as well as having one dedicated camera to capture entering/leaving vehicles (Picking plates), is what's important to me.

I'm torn between upgrading to a TVI system, or just pulling cable and switching over entirely to IP.

What I need is :

1. Good remote viewing ability.
2. Good to very good ability to pick plates from at least one camera from a distance of up 30' day or night. Good night time performance.
3. Being able to scan specific channels & motion detected events.
4. Under $4K.

Would a TVI system get the job done? I've gotten quotes from reputable online sellers for roughly $3300 for everything. I'm sure it would, but what kind of improvement would I see with say a 4mp IP cam from Hik?

I considered a packaged Q-See or Swann system from Costco. Are these decent? The only issue is I prefer domes for aesthetics.

Perhaps building a system from the ground up using Hik or Dahua cameras is my best option?

I would say leaning IP now, but am COMPLETELY overwhelmed with the options.

Please advise. Thanks.