Need help with Tripwire function setup

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi again,

You don't have to be to gentle with the Tripwires, no one will see them except you so better to make them big instead so they will not miss anything.
Good comment as well above about the intrusion box, it will cause false positives.

See this image, i would draw the tripwire in either two ways, to make sure not to miss out on anything.
ivs.png
Secondly, click the check box for record and also clear out the pixel counter.
While you're configuring you could also clear out the "Min size" (and reconfigure later).

Other than that the camera is in a good position to spot people, identifying could be harder.

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope you have not given up on me! I did get the 'tripwire' function working on one of the cameras. the HDW-2431T-ZS-S2 (varifocal), but I can not get it to work on the fixed lens HDW-2431TM-AS-S2. According to the spec's on that camera, it can do tripwire. I have tried several times, but nada! Any ideas or suggestions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's see a screenshot of what you set up and let us look at it.

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Point of Interest:
The fixed lens camera is connected via IP over power line. Perhaps that could be the problem?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an NVR users but I would say you need to change that from a "tripwire" to an "intrusion" box.

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tried that, but still nothing. I am going to try connecting (with a long) directly to the NVR. Perhaps that will show what causes it. I will let you know tomorrow.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The chairs and table are probably preventing the camera from recognizing the full subject so it isn't triggering.

While in the camera GUI, have someone walk around and see if you get the little box around the person.

Next thing is to also make sure that somehow a schedule hasn't been set up on that camera that is saying not to detect right now.

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I got it to work! The only thing I do not get is a recording on the NVR of the event. I do get it on my phone. I thank you for your patience and help. Good evening and good health!

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My mistake. I found the event recording page, but now I see no way of deleting the recordings. I must say, the Dahua NVR GUI is not intuitive at all.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My mistake. I found the event recording page, but now I see no way of deleting the recordings. I must say, the Dahua NVR GUI is not intuitive at all.
That is why a lot of us use Blue Iris LOL.

You could reformat your hard drive to delete them. Or just let them override when the drive gets full.

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have looked into Blue Iris. What do you recommend as far are using a PC powerful enough to handle 4 each 4mp cameras and 2 each 8mp cameras?

Also, which camera is preferred for low light conditions: HDW-2431 or HDW-2831T (both fixed lens models)?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 4th generation CPU is more than sufficient. Consider a refurbished unit from ebay or Amazon or MicroCenter for example.

Many of these refurbished computers are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that. A member here just last week found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. Blue Iris has a demo, so give it a try on an existing computer with one camera.

Those cameras would be horrible for low light. One is 4MP on a 1/3" sensor and the other is 8MP (4k) on a 1/2.7" sensor. A 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor will kick its butt all night long.

It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything other than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything other than a 1/2.8" sensor. Most 4k are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP...this is even more critical with a PTZ that will be PTZing across a wide range of differing light conditions at night. 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL).

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information. I have been playing with the Blue Iris application and have found it to be much easier to use than the Dahua NVR GUI. Also, I am now able to record the video from a couple of Wyze cameras configured with RTSP firmware. Too bad I bought the NVR already, but it turned out to be a real pain to configure.

Can you be more explicit about the PC I should get; suggested model number, processor, etc . I like a small foot print one capable with HDMI output. I know I am asking you a lot, but I am a real newbie (as you already figured out!).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on being converted to Blue Iris LOL....soon you can chime in on the Blue Iris versus NVR debate LOL.

Any one of these would be fine for watching costs:

4th generation:
Just make sure it comes with Windows 10 Pro operating system. 8GB RAM at minimum.

You could go with a more expensive and more powerful unit, but the above work well when using the substream optimization.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Adrianus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is substream optimization? I know that cameras have a Main stream and Substream output, but how does one select optimization?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is substream optimization? I know that cameras have a Main stream and Substream output, but how does one select optimization?
It is part of the camera setting to allow Blue Iris to use the substream. Go to the camera settings and you should see a main profile and sub profile.

Do everything on here and the 4th generation will be fine. A member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30ish% CPU.