Need help with wiring to cam and router

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to have a camera in my garage and a wifi router too.
My camera is ONVIF and will have a different address scheme than my main ip which is 192.168.0.1. The camera has the 10.1.1.1 scheme. I have one Ethernet cable from my network in my house to my garage about 150 feet away. My NVR is a Dahua via Security Camera King, and is an 8 camera model with 8 built in poe switches.
I plan to put one end of that cable to the router (Airport Extreme) in my house and the other end into my garage to a iCreaTin powered poe switch. I will plug the camera into the poe switch. I will plug my 2nd AirPort Extreme into the switch as well. The 2nd AirPort Extreme is configured to create a wireless network just like the first AE. Does this sound like it should work? Or, should I try to configure the cheap no name camera to the 192.168.0.x scheme?

Thanks,
Tubac

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Tubac
I would change the IP and gateway address of the camera to the same subnet as your house camera & router.
A wireless setup is not ideal. Have you tested the wireless range? You could do this by loading "Wifi Analyzer" Wifi Analyzer - Android Apps on Google Play on you phone and see if the signal is strong enough.
The preferable solution would be to run a duct and Ethernet cable between the two buildings?
nzipcamera

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,

That's what I ended up doing. I ran a line from the router in my house (wan port) to the router in my garage (LAN port) Actually in went to a poe switch first then in to the router. Then the camera went into the poe switch. Every thing is working!

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi there I have the same problem, but running a cable is not an option for me. Any thoughts on whether Gigabit Powerlines would work by using the existing electrical circuit in the house? Thanks for your input.

virtua.jdub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you want to do exactly?
My apologies if I wasn't clear. I was looking to get a stable internet connection from my house to the garage, without having to pull wires. That said - another member @marku2 confirmed that Powerline adapters work great when running cables are not possible.