Need nvr suggestion

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got another post in the cam section asking for cam suggestions, which didn't get many replies. That said, the suggestions made appear to be very popular cams on this forum so maybe that's why. And the one that seems most promising to me, IPC-HDW5231R-Z, is reasonable enough to buy for at least 2 if not all 4 cams in my setup. I'm still not 100% set on these. I'm curious about the z5 and entertaining the cheaper 4231s. But it seems that these are some of the most popular budget cams on the forum.

So now I need to figure out the NVR. I couldn't get anyone to give me suggestions in the cam section, and my searches for "nvr 5231" and other similar searches come up empty. What's a good compatible nvr for these cams? Some requirements and desired features are below.

Required:
- NVR compatible with 5231 and 4231 (and z5?)
- 8 channel minimum
- motion detection, mapping/masking, and scheduling
- POE
- PTZ controls
- HDMI out in 1080p

Desired features:
- 4k compatible NVR
- second HDD or second HDD bay (alternatively, external HDD option)
- HDMI out in 4k
- quiet fan
- USB 3.0 (if USB is required for downloading videos or upgrading firmware)

That's all I can think of at the moment. If I could just get some decent recommendations, I'd appreciate it. And if additional equipment will be required (POE injector, HDD, etc.), please let me know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not being funny but maybe the reason why there are not many replies is this subject (Cam + NVR Suggestions) has been mentioned many times on this forum. There is a unwritten rule here and it's search the forum before posting questions as the answer may already be there.

Anyway this will fit your requirements

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 16/32CH 1U 16PoE 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder NVR5216 16P 4KS2 NVR5232 16P 4KS2 from Reliable video recorder glasses suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not being funny but maybe the reason why there are not many replies is this subject (Cam + NVR Suggestions) has been mentioned many times on this forum. There is a unwritten rule here and it's search the forum before posting questions as the answer may already be there.

Anyway this will fit your requirements

Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua 16/32CH 1U 16PoE 4K&H.265 Network Video Recorder NVR5216 16P 4KS2 NVR5232 16P 4KS2 from Reliable video recorder glasses suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd.
Perhaps you didn't see that I stated I've already searched and come up empty. I couldn't find any NVR threads related to those cams in my search. I even tried browsing several pages and found nothing.

I'm well aware of forum etiquette. You go to one of my car audio forums asking about the best SQ drivers but then only want to buy JL audio in the end cause you never heard of dynaudio, focal, or hertz, you aren't going to get much respect. But that's because most forums have countless threads on the topic that are easily searchable. Moreover, most also have numerous stickies guiding newcomers on some of the basic gear, industry terminology, etc. I see none of that here. Perhaps the threads exist, but the fact remains that the search didn't turn up anything. So maybe the search is broken? I don't know. Some stickies would be a big help though, as most newbs don't have weeks to months to devote to learning this stuff. It's easy when you're already in the know to say "go search" in response to everything, but really that's just as lazy as the person asking the question. Try learning something completely new that's very technical in nature on a forum if you've forgotten just how much time it takes. When i got into car audio, i was just a teenager, so i had all the time in the world. Now I'm 33, work full time, I'm a homeowner and a landlord, i regularly work on my house, been dealing with family health issues, and my GF got me going to a wedding every other weekend... i don't have shit for free time anymore. I couldn't possibly sit on this forum for hours reading thread after thread, doing search after search (if it worked). I just don't have the time to do that. I just wanted some simple suggestions and that be it, even if they've already been mentioned a thousand times. It's not going to kill you. Revamping this forum and fixing the apparently broken search function might save you some headache if you find it such a problem that people ask these questions.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hit the link in my signature for some good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you expect the members of the forum to answer the same questions day in and day out, like we have the time for that?

The search works just fine. And @cyberwolf_uk answered your question. The 5216 is a great nvr for Dahua cameras. A simple "thank you, maybe I wasn't searching for the right words or should have tried more searches" would have sufficed.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, the suggested nvr is discussed at length only 10 posts below your thread. It's not even buried in the deep dark corners of the forum.

2017-09-27_07.29.54.jpg

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're too busy don't reply. But don't get on a power trip either, because that's worse.

1) i did thank him for his suggestion
2) how am i supposed to know that nvr is the nvr i need? The cams aren't in the subject. Am i just supposed to go into every single nvr thread and try try find out if they're the best nvr for the 5231 cam? No, that would be ridiculous to expect someone to do.
3) the search isn't working for me. It's not that i don't know how to search. It's that it's not working. Period.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have or plan on getting Dahua cameras, get a Dahua NVR. Any Dahua nvr that meets your requirements wil work with any Dahua camera. Best not to mix and match brands.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't cheap out on the cameras. If when you really need it, your pics aren't good, then the whole system is a fail. Facial recognition against hoodie wearers at night is not easy. Once you set it up, test your system at night wearing a hoodie.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have or plan on getting Dahua cameras, get a Dahua NVR. Any Dahua nvr that meets your requirements wil work with any Dahua camera. Best not to mix and match brands.
Thanks. This is very helpful information. See, I would have guessed the opposite were true, that IPC/NVR pros were mixing and matching equipment. I imagine this should make setup pretty streamline. It seems that Dahua and Hiki are the two names I'm constantly seeing in the cam threads, so I imagine I'll be sticking with one of those brands. And after the recommendation of the 5231, i found several threads and other websites raving about that cam, placing it at the top of their lists for budget/intro-midgrade setups. So unless someone else recommends something better, i will likely go with those. As for the NVR, the one recommended above looks great, but it's a little on the high end of my budget considering there's no HDD. Haven't ruled it out though.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Don't cheap out on the cameras. If when you really need it, your pics aren't good, then the whole system is a fail. Facial recognition against hoodie wearers at night is not easy. Once you set it up, test your system at night wearing a hoodie.
Thanks. I'm not even familiar with facial recognition tech. I'm going to have to read up on that.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not even familiar with facial recognition tech. I'm going to have to read up on that.

My intention was by a human. As in - looking at the pics after an incident and realizing you can't ID the perps. All the cameras take decent pics during the day, but lots of stuff happens at night. That's why the low light cameras are such a big deal. IMO there's a pretty wide gap between the different cameras at night even on infra red.

Also why setting the cam up during the day and looking at it can look great - and why you need to test your setup at night.

Big Ry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My intention was by a human. As in - looking at the pics after an incident and realizing you can't ID the perps. All the cameras take decent pics during the day, but lots of stuff happens at night. That's why the low light cameras are such a big deal. IMO there's a pretty wide gap between the different cameras at night even on infra red.

Also why setting the cam up during the day and looking at it can look great - and why you need to test your setup at night.
Yeah, that's the issue I'm having with my current reolink cams. Well... perhaps it's not that they're so bad in visibility in the low light as much as it is that they create a ton of noise in the low light. It's like looking at the white noise on the old tube TVs. It totally destroys the image. Then it started carrying over into cams inside under regular LED lighting in my room, and that's just totally unacceptable. That's not even close to low light. That's why I'm excited about these 5231s. They're supposed to be really good for low light, which is what i have in my back patio area with the city's LED street lighting... Not dark enough for IR, but dark enough to mess up cheapo cams.