Need opinions for Pit Lane camera for remote viewing.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have been tasked with giving an option or two for a replacement pit lane camera. Previously they ran a crappy Trendnet camera, but there are much better units out there. My thought is to run an IPC-T5442TM-AS 2.8mm as that is what I run at home and really like them, but I don't know if the cost for the Starlight+ is needed since we only have 3 night races (pit box is very well lit) and all of the other races are during the day. I was considering the T2431T-AS 2.8mm also.

The purpose of the camera is for our HPD engineers to be able to remotely view the pit box form their engineering trailer. This will not be recorded and strictly for real time viewing. As wide of an angle of the pit box is preferred, which is why I am leaning towards 2.8mm since the camera location is not ideal and can move further or closer to the car depending on the size of the pit box at each event.

Here are some different angles of the space we are working with. The camera will be mounted where the red circle is. We do not always run the big canopy and I don't want to come up with a bunch of different mounting solutions track to track to move the thing around.

Inked50605492346_126b6125ba_o_LI.jpg
49451155768_0fa4914b35_o.jpg49451156428_affb1e3edd_o.jpg50605497796_838994dd63_o.jpg50605606872_ab9b679c46_o.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cool workplace!

Starlight+ is just a marketing term, so don't let a camera that says that sway your decision.

Given the amount of light you would probably have even for night races, most specs will be sufficient for nighttime.

How "real time" viewing is actually needed - pit action is quick and IP cameras and real time are not close friends and will have a lag. If a potential few seconds lag is ok, then IP would be the way, otherwise go with analog.

I think the 2.8 would work. Or do you go with a varifocal that would allow you to zoom in or out based on it's location for that week?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Cool workplace!

Starlight+ is just a marketing term, so don't let a camera that says that sway your decision.

Given the amount of light you would probably have even for night races, most specs will be sufficient for nighttime.

How "real time" viewing is actually needed - pit action is quick and IP cameras and real time are not close friends and will have a lag. If a potential few seconds lag is ok, then IP would be the way, otherwise go with analog.

I think the 2.8 would work. Or do you go with a varifocal that would allow you to zoom in or out based on it's location for that week?
Thanks. :)

I agree with the marketing term, but I just know how that specific camera functions and how the picture is. I highly doubt the LEDs will ever even come on. After a while all of the model numbers just get all jumbled together and I don't know the difference between a 1 and a 0.

The engineers aren't making any calls, I just think they want to have some sort of visual on the car when it is in the pit box since they are in a trailer elsewhere on the property. They've done this previously with a potato for a camera, so I assume they are ok with some lag from a better camera. Right now I assume they attempt to watch any available pit box feed through the broadcast which is already delayed.

I considered a varifocal, but it's just one more thing to dick with when we get to the track.

I also don't know what they plan to use to view the feed unless they just log into the camera itself.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want to be sure that there is enough light, get the Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-L(U).

4mm should also work but think 2.8mm will be best since the blind spot the first meters will be less.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you want to be sure that there is enough light, get the Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-L(U).

4mm should also work but think 2.8mm will be best since the blind spot the first meters will be less.
Good pick, also has built in mic. Check the available accessories - a pole mount with wall mount may be good options for your temp installs.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
P.S. If branding is a concern, Konica Minolta has a relationship with Mobotix.
Unfamiliar with their IP cams, but they do offer indoor & outdoor models.