Need Opinions for the Best Way to Install more cameras

qjschum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All
I currently have two cameras on my system an AXIS camera that is on the driveway and hikvison camera that is inside the garage. They both have cat 6 ran to a POE switch and the network cable is hooked into a TP Link since the garage is not connected to the house. I've decided I want to add more cameras but I need Opinions on the best way to do it. Please see the photos below and the explanations for them.

So this is the end of the house. There is no network cable back here but I do have access to pull cable into the house where I can add a TP Link bridge. Should I add a bullet camera?

For this corner of the house I want to be able to see in both directions. Would a PTZ camera with a guard tour option be a good idea for this corner? My concer is the rain gutter coming down and how it can cause a challenge for install. On the next photo the closest point to the network and Poe switch is just on the other side of the fence right before the first window.
I just want to be sure I do this right the first time. Would it be best to run conduit for the cable that will be exposed out side? Should I just run a long cable from the network location to the midway point of the house and put an outdoor enclosure for a POE switch instead of getting another TP Link? I just need ideas and to make sure I do things correctly the first time.

Thanks,

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of PTZ "patrol" cameras. It's too easy for them to be looking west when something happens east, or vice versa. Two fixed cameras are a much better solution. I'm a firm believer in cameras mounted so that their fields of view overlap and look back at each other. That does increase the camera count, certainly, but also provides "coming or going" style coverage in every case.

If you don't have attic access, any cable run outside should either be "tucked" under siding or enclosed in conduit. PVC conduit can be painted to match the existing color to make it less noticeable, but be sure to use a primer designed for use on PVC to get good adhesion. Maybe you can access the crawl space and do the wiring from below.

If you can access the attic, there are several threads discussing how to mount to soffets without drilling large holes. Basically, just use a piece of flat aluminum stock, cut to length, tucked into the flanges of the soffet. Again, the aluminum gets painted to match the soffet color.