Need Outdoor Camera Recommendations

Luke Heier

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all! Long time lurker and first time posting. I found this forum a few years ago and did a ton of reading. I was dead-set on getting Hikvision cameras from Nelly's. Life got it the way though, and I just didn't have time to make it happen. Fast forward to a few days ago. I've been reading a bunch more to try and get caught up from what has changed over the last couple years. To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the models and am looking for some advice.

After the reading I've done recently, I think I'm between Dahua cameras from Andy or Hikvision from Nelly's. It seems like a lot of people are going the Dahua route, but can't find anything to sway me one way or the other.

Maybe talking about my needs and wants will drive me one way or another. I'm looking for 3-4 outdoor cameras to get started. They will be used for watching my front door, rear door, garage door, and pole shed. Most of the cameras will be installed under the soffit. Wide angle views would be preferred. As for style, the smaller the better. Maybe a dome or turret. I'm open to suggestions. Local storage would be nice. I'll likely be hooking them to an NVR or maybe building a machine to run Blue Iris. PoE is a must. As for price, I'd like to keep them below $150 each.

4K cameras are all the rage now, but it seems they are not good with nighttime footage. I'd like a happy medium between daytime quality and nighttime quality. I see that most of the Dahua cameras everyone is talking about are 2MP. I feel kind of silly purchasing 2MP cameras in 2019. The Hikvisions seem to be 4MP and up.

Anyway, I'm overwhelmed with all the different models and am really hoping someone can make some suggestions to steer me to a manufacturer and a couple models that would fit the bill.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all! Long time lurker and first time posting. I found this forum a few years ago and did a ton of reading. I was dead-set on getting Hikvision cameras from Nelly's. Life got it the way though, and I just didn't have time to make it happen. Fast forward to a few days ago. I've been reading a bunch more to try and get caught up from what has changed over the last couple years. To be honest, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the models and am looking for some advice.

After the reading I've done recently, I think I'm between Dahua cameras from Andy or Hikvision from Nelly's. It seems like a lot of people are going the Dahua route, but can't find anything to sway me one way or the other.

Maybe talking about my needs and wants will drive me one way or another. I'm looking for 3-4 outdoor cameras to get started. They will be used for watching my front door, rear door, garage door, and pole shed. Most of the cameras will be installed under the soffit. Wide angle views would be preferred. As for style, the smaller the better. Maybe a dome or turret. I'm open to suggestions. Local storage would be nice. I'll likely be hooking them to an NVR or maybe building a machine to run Blue Iris. PoE is a must. As for price, I'd like to keep them below $150 each.

4K cameras are all the rage now, but it seems they are not good with nighttime footage. I'd like a happy medium between daytime quality and nighttime quality. I see that most of the Dahua cameras everyone is talking about are 2MP. I feel kind of silly purchasing 2MP cameras in 2019. The Hikvisions seem to be 4MP and up.

Anyway, I'm overwhelmed with all the different models and am really hoping someone can make some suggestions to steer me to a manufacturer and a couple models that would fit the bill.
Most feel its kind of silly to by 4mp/8mp cameras that perform poorly at night.
There are new 4mp/8mp cameras from dahua with large 1/1.8 sensors that perform well at night. There are several threads on them. If you chase resolution without looking at the sensor you will end up with crappy night vision. Read the wiki.