Need Recommendation for 64 Channel NVR

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to buy a new NVR and cams for our new location. Current location has 30-40 cams and a Hikvision DS-96064NI-I16 with 80TB storage. New location needs about the same setup with slightly more cams.

The DS-96064NI-I16 works fine as far a reliably recording video, but when it comes to playback and searching remotely or locally I feel like I'm back in time a couple decades using a laggy old PC on Window Millennium. It seems to alway be an effort to search and playback. A bare DS-96064NI-I16 is around $3,000. I was wondering if paying around $1,500 more for a 128 Ch NVR would make a difference? Don't need 128 Ch but would extra CPU power result in snappier system for search and playback? Or just wasting money? Prior to the Hikvision we tried a Dahua and disliked it more than the Hikvision. Is it just the nature of NVR's to have clunky interfaces that don't run smoothly?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If you really need efficient timeline playback for daily review, yeah they are a hassle. ( for me) Once i got wind of Blue Iris and tried it. And learned how to quickly jump thru " My Usual Suspects" cameras in the morning. I wondered, Why did I have to suffer thru 2 years of horseshit before I found something thats fast for scrubbing thru video.
Some guys her are quite handy with NVR's. I have some running right now, But I also am complimenting the NVR's with Blue iris. for fast review. I can actually fill out my weekly time card using 2 Blue Iris computers showing when i leave home and when I leave work.
In literally like 2 minutes.
Or if I procrastinate I can do the whole month.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I really enjoy opening up an NVR, finding "playback" and selecting a date, selecting a camera, and then having it start at 12 AM with a timeline stripe, dotted with motion events.:banghead:
In BI recent events are Images listed along the left side of the screen, and you can mouse wheel thru the entire 24 hour period and select a clip and watch it in seconds.:D
You can have it show "all" recents or single cam recents. I can see if some jackass came thru my parking lots over night in about 1 minute covering 3-4 different camera views.
NVR is worse than W Millenium, its like Win 3.1 and DOS.
Just my experience. Sometimes an NVR is fine if you don't get a lot of action. But I get a lot of action.

Last edited:

Alan2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did purchase BlueIris a while back but have not used it. :smash: Need to try to find what I did with it and give it a try. I did find an iPhone app that was free and worked quite a bit better for me than their IVMS-4500 app do not surprised software from someone else to you on computer will not also work better.

No hardware recommendations?

Edit: Remember why I didn't install Blue Iris. It is PC only. Found my copy. Will see if it works on Mac with Parallels...

Last edited: