Need recommendation for Dahua LPR License Plate Camera that can fit in custom mailbox.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im rebuilding my mailbox from limestone to match house. I have cat6 direct burial cable ran to the box. Looking for your recommendation on what poe camera is best to build into the mailbox and point down the street.

My street runs parallel to mailbox so a camera pointing out the side will work perfectly.

The IP cam that Andy has sold me in past for LPR is large! Any smaller suggestions? Bullet style

*attached image is just example. I havent built box yet.

Thank you

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj, what makes these good canidates for "mailbox" LPR cameras? Im just wondering if they have different software, lense etc. So I can keep eye out for similar features.

I will check these out as well. Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need a camera that has the focal length for the distance you are trying to capture along with the camera having the ability to set the shutter speed and other parameters and the camera actual adhere to those settings.

For a camera on a mailbox at the street, a smaller turret varifocal is a great choice as it is smaller than a bullet camera.

Many cameras say you can do a manual shutter, but the algorithm will override you if it thinks you are setting up the camera in error, so best to go with a tried and true option.

You didn't mention if the LPR camera you got from Andy is one that reads and logs plates or if the camera can be setup to manually read plates visually. This camera can be set to allow you to manually read the plate or run it thru a 3rd party plate program like Rekor/OpenALPR, but the camera itself does not read or log the plates.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for all the info. The camera does not need to make plate logs or have smart features like this. Just looking for playback clarity in case of event.

The big $700 one I got from Andy about a year ago does all this, logs plates, snapshots etc. Its just rather large to build a mailbox around. My house will look like Im that creepy parnoid neighbor.... wait...maybe I am.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case, the $130ish camera is about as cheap as it gets with a camera that will allow you to set it up to manually read plates.

stevef22

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In that case, the $130ish camera is about as cheap as it gets with a camera that will allow you to set it up to manually read plates.
Got it thank you very much.