Need single camera solution

griffths

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been researching solutions for streaming a single camera at a remote location as a live stream webcam for a webpage but am not making much progress. Technically it doesn't really need to be live, the picture can be periodic snapshots (maybe every minute or so) though a truly live stream would be ideal.

I was thinking maybe using the FTP functionality built into the cam to send snapshots via FTP to the web server but not sure how that would work and if they would simply continue to build up or if there would be a way to overwrite the older pic with the newer one.

The camera I am attempting to use is a Dahua DH-IPC-HFW23A0RN-ZS and other than Internet, there is currently no infrastructure at the remote location to support the cam. My plan is for a small POE switch, UPS and maybe some sort of media convertor appliance if necessary but would rather not get into a dedicated PC for a single cam.

I have also considered setting up the cam remote to my BI5 setup but that is going to add a number of hops for the stream so would rather not go that route unless absolutely as a last resort.

Any thoughts?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not use a Starlight model that has a better image sensor? There are some newer 4MP Starlight+ models out nowadays.

I've never played w/ the camera ftp option, but that sounds like the most reliable way (if there's a way to have it use the same filename). Folks have had some success setting cameras up to stream directly to YouTube, but it seemed like it would stop after a few days. Plus I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a YouTube stream into the web page you're working on.

Last edited: