Need some advice on a camp setup.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Been awhile since my Blue Iris setup was completed. It's still running great! Many thanks for all the help. On to the next adventure.

I have a buddy that had his camp broken into. He's interested in a camera system. He has electricity on site. We need to figure out how many days between checking footage, continuous recording, tripped recording, etc, and get him into something that will take care of him but not break the bank. Something that should reboot automatically if power trips, etc.

I told him you guys know what you are doing and won't steer him wrong. He is creating an account and joining in on the conversation.

Thanks in advance!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While we are waiting for responses, is Andy still the go to guy for camera needs?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He's probably going for best bang for the buck. Any input on what's out there? Definitely want to be able to identify with them at night.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I went with the Starlights for my setup I don’t know what he wants to put into the setup but we will get it figured out. I will take a look at the Hikvisions

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
My opinion may be a little different from some other opinions here, but I would install a NVR with the capacity of 4 HDDs and set your cameras to motion. Amazon has 4TB HDDs for $140ea now a days. You may have dust and dew floating around at night which will trigger recording, but try to set the sensitivity down and use built in IVS instead, if you go with cams that have it.

How many cameras are you thinking of installing at the camp and are they all going to be inside? Do you have internet at the camp?

w6mm284

n3wb
Reaction score
My opinion may be a little different from some other opinions here, but I would install a NVR with the capacity of 4 HDDs and set your cameras to motion. Amazon has 4TB HDDs for $140ea now a days. You may have dust and dew floating around at night which will trigger recording, but try to set the sensitivity down and use built in IVS instead, if you go with cams that have it.

How many cameras are you thinking of installing at the camp and are they all going to be inside? Do you have internet at the camp?
I was only going to use 1 camera inside we are going to have outside coverage from the camp. Their is no internet at camp only cell service is verizon and it's spotty

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
How often do you plan on going there? You could put up one camera inside and just put an SD card in it. By setting it to record motion only, you could hold weeks of video. Option 2 would be to put an NVR inside somewhere with a couple of 4TB or 6TB HDDs and get 4-6 months if not more.

w6mm284

n3wb
Reaction score
How often do you plan on going there? You could put up one camera inside and just put an SD card in it. By setting it to record motion only, you could hold weeks of video. Option 2 would be to put an NVR inside somewhere with a couple of 4TB or 6TB HDDs and get 4-6 months if not more.
Over the winter it may be 4 months. During summer should be once a month.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
I would put in a 4 port NVR with a couple of bigger HDDs and you should be good. A 128gb sd card might be enough if you fine tune the motion settings or use IVS.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok. I think we are going to try poe cams that will take memory cards first. The cams have built in software to setup zones for tripwires, etc, correct? He can power with an external power supply for now, setup the internal software to record to the memory card only when tripped correct? Will this work?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Is this camp stupid far out in the boonies? I wonder if he would want to know sooner rather than later about someone visiting his camp, because even over Verizon you could get some alerts sent out I would think. I would worry the memory cards would overwrite before I came back to visit, essentially eliminating all usefulness of the cameras after the event.

w6mm284

n3wb
Reaction score
Is this camp stupid far out in the boonies? I wonder if he would want to know sooner rather than later about someone visiting his camp, because even over Verizon you could get some alerts sent out I would think. I would worry the memory cards would overwrite before I came back to visit, essentially eliminating all usefulness of the cameras after the event.
Yes it's in the boonies! Are camp group is going to pay for two trail cameras that send photos real time. It's just to expensive to do everyones camper. So each camper is doing something on their own. So we will be notified if someone shows up at ate site.