Need some advice

shaggymc

n3wb
Reaction score
I am going through the latest catalog from milkisbad and in the planning stages of adding some cameras around my house. . All of the cameras would be under the eaves and tied into my NAS. I know am going to put one shooting down my driveway (see red x below). I thinking turret but can they handle the distances? My driveway is fairly long. Would a bullet be better? My end goal is have it tied to my alarm and HA systems.

Across the front of the house I am not sure as to what to do. I was thinking of putting two cameras on each end of the front porch (the two blue x's). They would be angled so they would overlap a bit. Versus putting one above my front door (the purple x). Any suggestions? Best practices? I am thinking 4mm turrets for the two blues and/or a 2.8mm dome for the purple above the door.

layout_1.jpg

Is there any difference between the CMIP-1122 and the CMIP-3022 aside from the white vs black face? Would any of the cameras benefit from WDR? The sun rises in lower right of the picture and sets in the upper left, and I have two shady trees in the front as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Red 6mm would be my preference. 3MP would be fine as it's 4:3 ratio means you get alot of the drive.

You can get away (when I say get away, it will be 100% fine) with one 2.8mm at purple, but get a 4MP there. But that is at head height.

If you are mounting them higher than 2x 4mm 2MP/3MP/4MP cameras in the blue location.

Don't worry about the sun too much, the cameras will be pointing down a little and that will make a bit difference.

shaggymc

n3wb
Reaction score
Red 6mm would be my preference. 3MP would be fine as it's 4:3 ratio means you get alot of the drive.

You can get away (when I say get away, it will be 100% fine) with one 2.8mm at purple, but get a 4MP there. But that is at head height.

If you are mounting them higher than 2x 4mm 2MP/3MP/4MP cameras in the blue location.

Don't worry about the sun too much, the cameras will be pointing down a little and that will make a bit difference.

Thanks, Del Boy. Should I do turrets all the way around?

The purple would be about 10' up where as the red and blues would be 8'-9'.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2CD2332-I for Red or DS-2CD2232-I5 if it's dark.

DS-2CD2542FWD-IS for purple.

Blue DS-2CD2342WD-I would be most people's recommendations.