Need some camera help .

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a camera to secure my driveway so I want something that will be able to ID faces also wanna keep the price under 150.00 US dollars. Now I have a amcrest 3m on my porch and I love it, but what I have been told is not to buy amcrest, so I'm looking into dahua. Below are some cams I have seen let me know what you guys think thanks for the help.

Dahua IPC-HFW1320S 3MP HD Network Mini IR Bullet Security IP Camera 3.6mm Lens English Version (Updatable) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXVGYCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-z0hybVZ56J8F

Amcrest IP2M-842W ProHD Outdoor 1080P Wi-Fi Wireless IP Security Bullet Camera, IP66 Weatherproof, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019WXCY3Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_vR0hyb976J61N

Dahua 2016 NEW 4.0 MP Camera IP IR IP Camera IPC-HFW4421S-3.6mm Security Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQG0R4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_AX0hyb2NTRVBB

Also is aliexpress.com a good site for people from the USA to buy from?

Also I'm using blue Iris

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would pick the last one on your list. Due to the fact that it has true WDR (wide dynamic range).

Stay away from WiFi cams. You won't be happy with the results.

Lots of folks on here purchase from Aliexpress and are happy with the results.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on the model, most are metal but some cheaper ones and almost all re-brands are plastic.

I import mine from whomever has the best price

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay so I almost have made a decision , but I'm still not sure I'm looking for the one that will give me best lowlight quality and could ID a face from at least 10 to 15 feet away. To me they almost all of the same because they have the same sensor I may be wrong ,but I think for the most part you're going to get the same image quality out of all of them here is what I have been look at please help me out thanks .

Like this one because of WDR

Dahua 2016 NEW 4.0 MP Camera IP IR IP Camera IPC-HFW4421S-3.6mm Security Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FQG0R4Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_BCmiybWQR0ZD5

Like this cuz it 4mm and 4mp but looks like the same sensor as above

HIKVISION V5.4.0 International English Version 4.1MP DS-2CD2042WD-I 4mm IP Camera CCTV Camera Firmware Upgradeable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012IE4GNC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xNmiybVNPJVYC

Heard really good things about these and their low light viewing but really want a bullet cam

Hikvision 4MP International version WDR EXIR Turret Network Camera DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mm firmware upgradeable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015CF1FKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nQmiyb42KQRD2

Really like this one prob my fav for features but it's kinda to big and ships from China also doesn't include mounting bracket but I like the zoom and the 4mp

Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z IP Network Camera 4MP 2.8mm ~12mm Motorized Zoom Lens IP66 Support POE Bullet Camera - Newegg.com

Also noticed these cameras don't come with a power plug is there a certain plug that you need ?

I would appreciate any help I think I might go with the first two but I like to hear everyone's opinion thanks

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really like this one prob my fav for features but it's kinda to big and ships from China also doesn't include mounting bracket but I like the zoom and the 4mp

Dahua IPC-HFW4431R-Z IP Network Camera 4MP 2.8mm ~12mm Motorized Zoom Lens IP66 Support POE Bullet Camera - Newegg.com

Also noticed these cameras don't come with a power plug is there a certain plug that you need ?

I would appreciate any help I think I might go with the first two but I like to hear everyone's opinion thanks
That motorized bullet would be the ticket with a varifocal lens if you can spend a bit more than the other bullet cams you posted before hand. That way you can adjust the zoom level for more clarity and detail.

Also most folks run POE switches which send power and data down the same cat whatever line. Or some folks run POE injectors but I personally would spend the 50 bucks for a 4 port POE switch and call it a day.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That motorized bullet would be the ticket with a varifocal lens if you can spend a bit more than the other bullet cams you posted before hand. That way you can adjust the zoom level for more clarity and detail.

Also most folks run POE switches which send power and data down the same cat whatever line. Or some folks run POE injectors but I personally would spend the 50 bucks for a 4 port POE switch and call it a day.

Would something like this work
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X x ER-X-SFP-US Advanced Gigabit 6-port Router with PoE and SFP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012X45WH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Vzniyb79AM8DR

Or this

TP-LINK 8-Port Fast Ethernet PoE Desktop Switch with 4 PoE Ports (TL-SF1008P) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_gBniybD4D2HTY

Then all you would need is a cat6 cable right?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
first one wont work, its not 48v standard poe.. second one will

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The second link for the TP Link switch will be fine. And all you "need" is cat 5e technically because you will not reach 1000Mbps.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The second link for the TP Link switch will be fine. And all you "need" is cat 5e technically because you will not reach 1000Mbps.
Cable length shouldn't be a problem should it cuz I need about 100ft to reach out to my garage. It should power it okay and everything? Also you don't need a splitter ? One of these

iCreatin Passive PoE Injector and PoE Splitter Kit with 5.5x2.1 mm DC Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRHNPUA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_P7niyb0EHRD18

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have good cables, spec is good for 300ft cable runs.. both power and data, wont be a problem for you.

the whole point of using PoE cameras is so u dont have to use shitty splitters like that to get power to em.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question, but do you think it be OK if I ran the cat6 cable under the sliding of my house? I really don't wanna drill any holds in my house, I just don't know if the cable would hold up with rain,snow,heat,ect . I mean it would be low voltage so I don't think it would be against "code" and I can't see it getting wet cuz the sliding I have is like that plastic shit.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thats perfectly acceptable, its the UV exposure that will destroy indoor rated cable if any of it is exposed to sunlight.. so keep that in mind as you round corners and whatnot.

due to the pigtail that comes off the camera you will probably want to mount it to a junction box attached to the siding, depending on your siding tucking that behind the facade may not be an option.

use self sealing tape on the connectors if its not inside a water-tight enclosure, the cable can get wet intermittently.. but not the connecting points.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah thats perfectly acceptable, its the UV exposure that will destroy indoor rated cable if any of it is exposed to sunlight.. so keep that in mind as you round corners and whatnot.

due to the pigtail that comes off the camera you will probably want to mount it to a junction box attached to the siding, depending on your siding tucking that behind the facade may not be an option.

use self sealing tape on the connectors if its not inside a water-tight enclosure, the cable can get wet intermittently.. but not the connecting points.
Ok so it's ok for the cable to get wet just not the connector . Doesn't most poe cams come with a water proof thing that screws together. Like a plastic protector

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
many have a plastic little coupler that goes over the connection, but it hardly makes it watertight.. but it will be with a few tightly stretched wraps of this stuff: 1 in. x 10 ft. Self-Bonding Super Tape

if it vinyl siding you'll want to retain the ability to clean it off with a garden hose/power washer, thats when your most likely to do damage.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
many have a plastic little coupler that goes over the connection, but it hardly makes it watertight.. but it will be with a few tightly stretched wraps of this stuff: 1 in. x 10 ft. Self-Bonding Super Tape

if it vinyl siding you'll want to retain the ability to clean it off with a garden hose/power washer, thats when your most likely to do damage.

Yeah it is vinyl siding and most of the time once a year , I clean it with the power washer. Maybe I'll just drill a hole and be done with it . I mean I'll have to screw the cam down anyways. But knowing my luck I'll drill and wanna move the damn thing 2 months later.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
make your self a test rig, run a cable loosely along the ground and give your self a few days to commit to an install location.. an 8ft piece of lumber in a bucket full of rocks/sand makes a great testbed.. if you have winds stake some guy wires down like a tent.