Need some help figuring out what this is...

JayBird

n3wb
Reaction score
Got the last of the new cameras installed, this one's been up about a week now (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E ) and I have 2 issues that may be related.
First is this spec that is visible at night, pics are zoomed all the way in then zoomed all the way out for reference.
Second is that when the camera is zoomed all the way in, when it switches to night mode, auto focus de-focuses the image. I'm not sure if this spec has anything to do with it or not but to get it focused, I have to manually move the focus slider full left with the zoom slide full right. I hope that makes sense.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
That spec looks to me to be something reflective of IR on the road. It doesnt appear to be with the lens..

As to the focus issue, welcome to my (and others) world. The auto-focus on the Z5/Z12 goes out of focus when switching from color to B&W. This is particularly problematic and seems to become worse as the lens is more zoomed in. It makes using these for LPR a real problem.

There is a 3rd party script that can be run on another machine that will help correct this, (search for Sunrise/Sunset utility) but for now at least, Dahua seems to not want to allow disabling of auto-focus which would be a simple fix to the problem.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh good catch @TheDank - it could well be reflection from that little sign to the left by the pole...