Need some help setting up camera location for LPR.

brasskey

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to LPR cameras and just purchased an IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E from Andy. I'm struggling to find the best spot. Unfortunately, I have some large trees and other obstructions on the front of the house that limit where I can put the camera. I'd like to have one on the north and south sides, but I really don't have any good options on the south side.

The first picture below is an overview of my house using IPVM showing where I was thinking of putting the camera. I already have a POE camera in that position on the north side of the house, so it would be easy to swap out. The second picture shows that camera view. Issue is the angle to the street. I'd obviously like it more straight on with the cars. The camera is about 20' up the house and about 70' from the middle of the street. The 3rd and 4th pictures show some still shots of cars passing by. Again, I know nothing about LPRs and I wan't sure if this camera would work at that angle and be able to zoom in well enough to capture from that distance. The second option I'm looking at is building a box under that tree on the NE end of the house (circled in red in 5th picture). The 6th picture shows that area looking at the possible camera location (I would mount about 3' from ground to cover that lily bush). The last picture shows the view from that location to the street where cars would be coming. I know this is the most ideal location, but I just wanted to see if the other location would work as there's already everything in place (POE line run, no addition box needed, etc.). No sense in doing all this work if the other location will work fine. Thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Definitely mounted low on the tree, say about four to six feet off the ground on the side of the tree that's hidden from the street for a little "stealth". My guess is that with a 12x or maybe a 24x zoom the IR of the camera will give you good captures. Next trick is a camera facing the other way, to catch them "coming and going".

Reaction score
The angle from the first position will not get you good plates. Take that Z12E cam and lay it out there for a few hours and see. You will get a better chance of good caps from your second position.

See these two threads where I discuss the whole process.

brasskey

n3wb
Reaction score
The angle from the first position will not get you good plates. Take that Z12E cam and lay it out there for a few hours and see. You will get a better chance of good caps from your second position.

See these two threads where I discuss the whole process.

Thanks. I did read over those threads before. Just wanted to see if I could get away with the easy install, but knew I probably couldn't.

Reaction score
Actually, after checking out your photos more, the first position MAY get you some usable caps. But I doubt that most caps will be readable. Really the only way to find out is to set up a test with the cam you bought. You don't need to mount it and run cable, just place it there temporarily or use a test rig as described in the Cliff Notes, and drape a cable to it. Night time caps will probably be very difficult since the IR may not be capable of illuminating at such a high angle. How fast do cars go there?

Another thing to consider is vegetation. It keeps growing and you have to keep trimming it if your cam is not positioned taking that into account.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm new to the LPR thing, with the help of others and their copious information, but when I got my camera, I laid it on the porch, propped up with some foam, to see how it would do. Just put it with the nose poking under your railing! Strung a temporary ethernet cable out a window to run it. Once I was confident that the location would work fine, I mounted it on the eave of the porch. Highly recommend throwing together some kind of temporary mount to see what it does. And, as others have said, LPR is part art, part science.