Need some Networking Help

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got myself a bit of a mess. Not sure where to begin. New set up at a new house.

Hardware:
Asus ROG Router. Cisco Catalyst 3560 24 port POE+ (Used/Ebay find). Dedicated Lenovo Business class Desktop w/ Blue Iris. Two IPC-T5842T-ZE from Andy.

Wiring
Internet runs to Asus Router (obviously). Cat 6 cable connects Asus Router lan port to port #1 on cisco switch. Lan port on lenovo desktop into port 2 on cisco switch. Camera connected to port 3 on cisco switch.

I cannot find the camera on the network and neither can blue iris. The port status light for the camera on the switch is blinking green, so I'm assuming the switch is working and the camera has poe and is working. I know nothing about switches like this. I didn't configure it at all, nor do I know how to. Again, its used from ebay, took it out of the box and plugged it in. The POE light on the left of the switch is not illuminated at all, but some reading suggests that the light will not illuminate until there is a problem if it is configured that way. I've plugged the camera into several different ports on the switch and the status lights all blink green after the camera has time to boot up.

The lenovo desktop has internet access so the switch is working at least in that reguard.

I suspect I'm having an IP address problem as the camera manual says the computer has to be on 192.168.1.x. My router has everything in my house on 192.168.50.x

Do need to put the switch on a different IP address? My router cannot "see" the cisco switch, it doesn't show up on networked devices in my router list.

Is this as easy as going into the lenovo computer and changing its IP address in windows settings? Or am I going to have to do this in my router?

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
So in the process of writing my plea for help, I think I have helped myself. I had a lightbulb come on, and changed the IP address of the router away from x.x.50.x to x.x.1.x and instantly the camera showed up on the router, and while blue iris wasn't able to find the camera automatically, I was still able to initialize the camera by typing its IP address into a web browser and then add it to blue iris manually using the ip address

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gonna make some assumptions first...

Assumptions
  1. Switch is setup with Default configuration (i.e. all switchports members of the default vlan)
  2. Camera is at factory defaults and is powering up
You can do either of the following:
  1. Change the IP address of your Windows client to match the 192.168.1.0/24 network that the camera should be configured for, log into its UI (which is normally 192.168.1.108 if i remember right) and change its IP address to be in the 192.168.50.0/24 range to match your original network range and then change your windows client back to its original config.
  2. Download the Dahua configuration tool and modify the camera using that (it will find the camera as its in the same ARP broadcast domain).

Note - your router will not "see" your cisco switch unless you have configured it with an IP address

Sphinxicus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So in the process of writing my plea for help, I think I have helped myself. I had a lightbulb come on, and changed the IP address of the router away from x.x.50.x to x.x.1.x and instantly the camera showed up on the router, and while blue iris wasn't able to find the camera automatically, I was still able to initialize the camera by typing its IP address into a web browser and then add it to blue iris manually using the ip address
looks like we posted at the same time :)

Changing the config of your router was a bit of a nuclear option but it gave you the desired result. Win win

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You wont see the switch in the router generally. Esp if it's not the IP based cisco. the 3560 has a few flavors. It comes in LAN base (Layer2) and IP base (layer3.) and maybe some other shit.
I spent a lot of time in mine trying to assign it an IP ( i have the IP Base) it's supposed to be living at 1.110. But since I switched computers and redid my BI system I don't see it. But it just works.