Need support on specific Dahua 5442 model

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dear all:

I need some support in selecting the right Dahua 5442 model. Reading pages here about the right camera model, I believe my selection of the Dahua 5442 model is pointing into the right direction. However, I am simply overwhelmed by the different models and their capabilities and would kindly ask for some support. My setup is attached in the screenshot. In General I would like to have 5 cameras:
  • Camera 1 (picture light blue): this camera should cover the front yard and will be hanging somewhere at 3m height. Here I was thinking of the HFW5442T-SE with 2.8mm as area to be covered is may be 7m * 4m, where the focus for identity is on 7m*2m.
  • Camera 2 (picture yellow): this camera should cover the entrance and will be hanging somewhere at 2.5m height. From sidewalk to camera there are around 11m. Basically I would like to have for all of the 11m a good picture, so here I was thinking for HFW5442E-ZE
  • Camera 3 (picture red): this camera should cover the balcony and camera height will be at ~4.5m and above 2m of the balcony. Here I was thinking of HFW5442T-SE with 3.6mm in order to reduce the blind spot
  • Camera 4 (picture blue: this camera should cover the garden and camera height will be at either ~4.5m (next to cam 3) or at 2.5 below the balcony. Here I was thinking of HFW5442E-Z4E.
  • Camera 5 (not on picture): this camera should cover the terrace and camera height will be at at 2.5 below the balcony. Here I was thinking of HFW5442T-SE with 3.6mm.
The cameras should all run on a Dahua NVR5208. I would like the automated recording when there is a person moving detection. Also intrusion detection should be available if somebody tries to manipulate the cams from outside (or can this be done via NVR?)

What do you think? I am especially confused about the models and difference to HFW5442T-AS-LED, HFW5442T-ASE-IN, HFW5442T-S and the Dahua website is not really helpful (you do not see the HF5442E models in WizMind-->5series).

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those seem to be good choices for your intended use.

The AS-LED model is full color and doesn't see infrared, so it uses the LED on the camera to illuminate the area. Keep in mind it doesn't cover a big area at night. I would only get if I had enough light to supplement.

The ASE-IN model is full color and doesn't see infrared, but also does not have built-in light either, so it would need to be placed in a well lit place.

Reach out to Andy @EMPIRETECANDY, a trusted vendor here that sells Dahua OEM equipment. He can probably get it for you cheaper than where ever you are looking.

He also has an Amazon presence.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dear all:

I need some support in selecting the right Dahua 5442 model. Reading pages here about the right camera model, I believe my selection of the Dahua 5442 model is pointing into the right direction. However, I am simply overwhelmed by the different models and their capabilities and would kindly ask for some support. My setup is attached in the screenshot. In General I would like to have 5 cameras:
  • Camera 1 (picture light blue): this camera should cover the front yard and will be hanging somewhere at 3m height. Here I was thinking of the HFW5442T-SE with 2.8mm as area to be covered is may be 7m * 4m, where the focus for identity is on 7m*2m.
  • Camera 2 (picture yellow): this camera should cover the entrance and will be hanging somewhere at 2.5m height. From sidewalk to camera there are around 11m. Basically I would like to have for all of the 11m a good picture, so here I was thinking for HFW5442E-ZE
  • Camera 3 (picture red): this camera should cover the balcony and camera height will be at ~4.5m and above 2m of the balcony. Here I was thinking of HFW5442T-SE with 3.6mm in order to reduce the blind spot
  • Camera 4 (picture blue: this camera should cover the garden and camera height will be at either ~4.5m (next to cam 3) or at 2.5 below the balcony. Here I was thinking of HFW5442E-Z4E.
  • Camera 5 (not on picture): this camera should cover the terrace and camera height will be at at 2.5 below the balcony. Here I was thinking of HFW5442T-SE with 3.6mm.
The cameras should all run on a Dahua NVR5208. I would like the automated recording when there is a person moving detection. Also intrusion detection should be available if somebody tries to manipulate the cams from outside (or can this be done via NVR?)

What do you think? I am especially confused about the models and difference to HFW5442T-AS-LED, HFW5442T-ASE-IN, HFW5442T-S and the Dahua website is not really helpful (you do not see the HF5442E models in WizMind-->5series).

Thanks for any help.
For Camera 1 I would go with a 3.6mm, I have one 2.8mm 5442 and the rest of my cameras are 3.6mm and I wished I went with the 3.6mm instead of the 2.8mm

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Bullet fixed lens camera, can check this latest new one. 4K

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would order from Aliexpress as the cams are pretty expensive in Germany.

4mp with v the 1/1.8 is probably ok for me as no need for 4k and the new model will be more expensive.

Would you use instead of bullet somewhere a dome?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would order from Aliexpress as the cams are pretty expensive in Germany.

4mp with v the 1/1.8 is probably ok for me as no need for 4k and the new model will be more expensive.

Would you use instead of bullet somewhere a dome?
@EMPIRETECANDY also has an AliExpress site.

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what would be the equivalent dome or turret to the 5442T-SE, which has audio. I think I would switch 2 of the 3.6mm cams with cams with audio. Unfortunately, the 5442 bullet cams do not have a microphone.
and why not dome, but rather turret?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Basically the domes can suffer from both internal and external reflections in the clear plastic dome cover, you can end up with rain drop marks on the cover, the cover clearness can deteriorate over time, they seem to attract more bugs and flies ….

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok thanks - so I would probably replace two HFW5442T-SE with two IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE as they have built in mic, same lens and other specs also pretty identical specs.

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have installed today the 2x IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE with 3.6mm and 1x IPC-HFW5442E-Z4. It seems as I will stay on the 2.8mm on the HFW.
As I am new to this surveillaince topic, I am wondering if there is a good guide somewhere. The NVR is setup and I can access the camera. I am now though wondering, do I have to login into each camera and make the settings (or can I do this centrally from the NVR) and where can I find what the settings are meaning / which combinations are useful and which are not. The Dahua guide gives some input, but does not define everything.

For example, if I am in the Cam webinterface, I see a lot of settings for IVS, Smart Plan, Audio detection - those settings I could not find in the NVR webif. However in the NVR webif I also had some basic schedule settings, etc.

Any link to read would be helpful. In the forum I have searched (DVR, Dahua, Setup), but the links found are more relating to how to wire or which combinations to buy.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best practice is to set it up within the camera GUI/web interface to ensure the camera is doing what you want.

For many, H264, CBR, and bitrate of 4192 for 2MP and 8192 for 4MP work best.

All settings are done within the camera GUI.

it comes down to configuring your camera and dialing it in to your field of view and using a test subject to walk around while you are adjusting.

Auto/default settings are usually going to be problematic. Auto shutter at night was probably a motion blur ghost and didn't look like a human.

And some field of views will be problematic as well. YMMV.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-30 (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night image results in Casper during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

So if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Really helpful. One question remains:
I have set in the Camera WebIf that the main stream is H264 with 20 FPS an 20 iFrames with CBR of 8192. However, when I login in to the NVR and go to the modified Camera, the NVR still says H265 with 25FPS and 2048 bitrate. What is now valid?

Or do I have to re adjust also the NVR settings so they match the Camera settings?

Thanks

Pseudoreal

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does not help. Still shows the old settings.

Also, do i have to set the motion detection rules and the storage schedule both on nvr (5216) and camera?

I assume I have set something wrong as the fanspeed of the nvr is always on 100%.

Edit: After I have updated the NVR with latest firmware and reset to factory settings, now the NVR gets all changes I do on the camera WebIf, once I click refresh. Thanks

Last edited: