Neigbhor Saves The Day - Suspects Casing Property/Vehicle.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
In most (?) locals in the US, trespassing onto residential property has its issues. If no sign is posted, then it is hard to enforce, especially for someone going up a driveway or to the front door. Now climbing a fence to, say, the back yard is more enforceable. Once a person has been told to leave though, they must leave or face arrest.
I only ask becasue over here it was decriminalised over a decade ago. Basically if caught on someone's land all they can do is ask you to leave. Only if you fail to leave when asked do so by law Enforcement do you committ any kind of offence. Sounds similar to your laws although I always though it was illegal in many of your states with some states even allowing shoot on sight.

Tresspass is a civil matter over here and the only action for a landowner is to sue but I believe you can only sue if loss has been suffered ie if damage has been done. BTW Damage also makes it criminal as it becomes "Aggravated Tresspass" which is an offence. At least this is my understanding.

There are different rules for "Protected Sites" though. These are sensitive Government sites such as Nuclear Sites and designated places such as Royal Residences, Military Bases and places such as Porton Down.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
There are different rules for "Protected Sites" though. These are sensitive Government sites such as Nuclear Sites and designated places such as Royal Residences, Military Bases and places such as Porton Down.

Rules for thee but not for me.

Things aren't as good as I'd like here in NJ, but if told to leave they are obligated to leave. Failure to do so becomes a police matter. Whether charges are brought is up to the police. If there's threat to life or limb by the trespasser, all bets are off.

Reaction score
although I always though it was illegal in many of your states with some states even allowing shoot on sight.
I do not think there is any state that allows you to shoot on site a trespasser. People may post signs stating as such, but that does not make it legal. In all states, surveyors have the right to enter your land (not buildings) to do their job. You would be in deep shat if you shot one just because he was on your land.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I do not think there is any state that allows you to shoot on site a trespasser. People may post signs stating as such, but that does not make it legal. In all states, surveyors have the right to enter your land (not buildings) to do their job. You would be in deep shat if you shot one just because he was on your land.
Probably a misconception over here arising out of stand your ground rules and incidents where people have been accidentally shot at the door.

Dytryn

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also in CA and we see a lot of car door checking in my neighborhood. My system caught it on video (once last night as they went through my daughter's unlocked car), but I am wondering if there some sort of audible system triggered by laser or otherwise that would actually alert me to these cockroaches as they are crawling around the driveway.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also in CA and we see a lot of car door checking in my neighborhood. My system caught it on video (once last night as they went through my daughter's unlocked car), but I am wondering if there some sort of audible system triggered by laser or otherwise that would actually alert me to these cockroaches as they are crawling around the driveway.
Depends on what system you have. If it's a current system, it can be setup to send notifications to your phone when motion is detected among other ways.
There are also outdoor driveway alarm sensors that can alert you.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Depends on what system you have. If it's a current system, it can be setup to send notifications to your phone when motion is detected among other ways.
There are also outdoor driveway alarm sensors that can alert you.
I love where I live in FLorida, you try that shit here and you will be seeing a green laser in your eyes as it comes from a goodguy with a SBR AR15 wearing armor yelling at them to GTFO

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What sort of cameras are these? My Dahua ones don't do as well at night =(

Reaction score
one day I will setup my ultimate alarm deterrent. I will have some real nice high output speakers with subs and some white and IR strobes and when I trigger them this starts playing

Azman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only ask becasue over here it was decriminalised over a decade ago. Basically if caught on someone's land all they can do is ask you to leave. Only if you fail to leave when asked do so by law Enforcement do you committ any kind of offence. Sounds similar to your laws although I always though it was illegal in many of your states with some states even allowing shoot on sight.

Tresspass is a civil matter over here and the only action for a landowner is to sue but I believe you can only sue if loss has been suffered ie if damage has been done. BTW Damage also makes it criminal as it becomes "Aggravated Tresspass" which is an offence. At least this is my understanding.

Interesting.

In Australia trespass laws are same same but different.

If you trespass on government land that becomes a criminal offence and you'll be prosecuted as such. It also doesn't matter whether damage occurred.

If you trespass on private land that becomes a civil matter. No damage needs to occur. You can sue someone for just stepping on your land and you just have to prove they did it, it was voluntary and intentional. It's then up to the trespasser to prove they had a lawful excuse (ie. consent or they had an epileptic fit and fell so wasn't voluntary, or it was within their lawful duty (eg. utility meter reader) etc). Police fall into a peculiar position that they can only come onto your land by statute (ie with a warrant etc) or as part of their duty as a police officer.....serving a summons or wanting to "ask questions" doesn't fall under that umbrella though.........lots of cases in Australia that deal with trespass by law enforcement (Dillon v Plenty and Kuru are the leading high court cases on the subject).

Call me a weirdo but I love the law and it's application........

Cheers,
Aaron

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting.

If you trespass on government land that becomes a criminal offence and you'll be prosecuted as such. It also doesn't matter whether damage occurred.

If you trespass on private land that becomes a civil matter. No damage needs to occur. You can sue someone for just stepping on your land and you just have to prove they did it, it was voluntary and intentional. It's then up to the trespasser to prove they had a lawful excuse (ie. consent or they had an epileptic fit and fell so wasn't voluntary, or it was within their lawful duty (eg. utility meter reader) etc). Police fall into a peculiar position that they can only come onto your land by statute (ie with a warrant etc) or as part of their duty as a police officer.....serving a summons or wanting to "ask questions" doesn't fall under that umbrella though.........lots of cases in Australia that deal with trespass by law enforcement (Dillon v Plenty and Kuru are the leading high court cases on the subject).

Cheers,
Aaron
I am in Perth - great to know these things.
What about people trying to sell you things (door to door sales)?

Azman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your property is open, by that i mean there isn't a locked gate or say your driveway/front yard is open to the street, there is implied consent until you explicitly remove consent. If you have a sign at the front that says no trespassing or you do not give consent to them coming on your property then no they can't but they must be able to see it before coming onto the property.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at those prices, I’d suggest entering NewEggs Shuffle for an RTX 3060. The 3060 is 70% faster and just a little more money.
Interesting.

Cheers,
Aaron
Getting a bit away from the topic posted...

I think your laws are based quite a bit around ours although our change from decriminalisation really altered it. So far as I'm aware in the UK, you cannot sue unless you can prove you suffered some damage eg someone damaged fences, gates or broke in damaging locks or glass or doors etc if it concerns a building - merely entering through something already open eg a door or an upstairs windows isn't damage. Trespassing signs have no effect (unless the site is a "protected site") and closed fences etc have no meaning provided you don't damage them getting in.

You can see a lot of this in action if you look up Urbex Eplorers on Youtube. Although one or two rogues do cause damage and break the law in which case they could absolutely be sued or prosecuted - damage is still criminal damage if deliberate. One example of exploring a previous military site:

It's different for homes that are currently live in. eg someone climbing through your window at home would probably be charged as a burglar, thief or attempted theft as it's unlikely the person could show a legitimate resason for being in your home eg to explore it out of interest unlike a derelict or abandoned site.

We have special rules around military bases and nuclear sites and some other buildings - usually used by Politicians etc and these are known as Protected sites. Tresspassing onto these is an offence although I understand the buildings have to be individually protected and added to a list. I believe - many but not all, disused sites are delisted.

BTW I'm not a lawyer so that's to the best of my belief and could be wrong. Ask a lawyer if you want formal reliable legal advice to rely on.

Last edited: