Neighbor doesn't like my camera

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Camera is mounted on a small fence pole in the back of my back yard... neighbor is a azzhole and we are feuding.... Won't go into details, but it's funny that he took a pic of my camera, then called the police on me saying that I had a camera pointing down the road towards his driveway. The camera is (primarily) there to view the crap house in the left of the screen. Another neighbor of mine bought it recently, and it is vacant, and has been broken into already. SO, given that the owner of the property asked me to point a camera at it tells me that I'm covered and the azzhole neighbor can go pound salt...

dalepa

Reaction score
Time to start a drone surveillance over the vacant house. LOL... You know its just a matter of time before a security/drone company starts offering a 24/7 drone surveillance package.

Can you image as he walked up to your house, an autonomous drone rushed out to meet him!!?

Kickstarter to the rescue! Drone Doorman!

Camera is mounted on a small fence pole in the back of my back yard... neighbor is a azzhole and we are feuding.... Won't go into details, but it's funny that he took a pic of my camera, then called the police on me saying that I had a camera pointing down the road towards his driveway. The camera is (primarily) there to view the crap house in the left of the screen. Another neighbor of mine bought it recently, and it is vacant, and has been broken into already. SO, given that the owner of the property asked me to point a camera at it tells me that I'm covered and the azzhole neighbor can go pound salt...

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oh, that would be neat. Even a little remote control tank with software to interface with the surveillance software.. motion is detected in a quadrant, and the mobile camera is deployed. Mobile tank camera would have object detection software to recognize movement and track it from a specified distance with a turret camera. Software would monitor onboard battery and once battery is getting low, it would return to the charging dock for a recharge. It could be set to patrol the grounds, or be given a certain path to follow for perimeter monitoring. Motion sensors can be deployed on the grounds to trigger an alert to start mobile camera engagement.

Just think, walking down the road and a freakin little tank with a camera comes zooming up and aims a camera at you...then follows you...until you hit the edge of the perimeter...would make for some good wildlife shots too...raccoons in the back yard wouldn't know what to think at 2am when they are followed around the yard...

I'll fund the hardware and start on a prototype, who's volunteering to write the software?

Not really a drone, but would be pretty cool. As far as a drone, I can see that getting expensive really quick... There is advanced software out there for drones. The little 4 prop ones have come a long way. I think an excessively windy day would make it very difficult for a drone to maintain a heading, hover, or even travel from point A to point B. Ten years from now will be a different story... very feasible for the future.

Now, I'm going to have to do some research on remote control and cameras... I think the last time I looked into it, the cameras worked good on line of sight and were broadcast over 2.4ghz... I played with RC planes a good bit in the past, and at one point, built a 6ft wingspan drone with a camera on it for a buddy of mine in the military... I took care of the plane stuff, and he took care of the camera stuff.. He had a LOT more money wrapped up in the cam hardware than I had wrapped up in the plane build...

Sounds like a good wintertime project for me to blow some money on..lol

dalepa

Reaction score
Oh, that would be neat.
Not really a drone, but would be pretty cool. As far as a drone, I can see that getting expensive really quick... There is advanced software out there for drones. The little 4 prop ones have come a long way. I think an excessively windy day would make it very difficult for a drone to maintain a heading, hover, or even travel from point A to point B. Ten years from now will be a different story... very feasible for the future.
A camera tank would be kool too!

I foresee personal and home/business drone security as a huge market in a few years... Drones are where PCs were in 1988, and they wont take 25 years to mature.

Have you seen: HEXO+ raised over a million on kickstarter and still 6 days left. crazy! A Personal/Business/COmmunity Drone security solution would be huge on Kickstarter.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That HEXO+ is one exciting product!

While autonomous following is their goal, and I'd like one for that to when I'm out and about; I would hope that at the same they allow an option to have a remote control device as well.

Curious what exactly it all does for safe travel path detection. You know, to avoid flying into buildings, trees, lamp posts, etc. and harder to detect objects like windsurf sails and kite surf lines.

PS
RTFM.
It has no avoidance system in the first generation! That raises an eyebrow about the sample footage running between the trees.
Manual control will be possible using a 3rd party control device.
Stability issues crop up at 15 mph wind, so there goes my first use idea of having it follow me out on the water since that's my low wind threshold. I don't head out below that. But. Now I don't have to worry about buying one. Maybe gen 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Camera is mounted on a small fence pole in the back of my back yard... neighbor is a azzhole and we are feuding.... Won't go into details, but it's funny that he took a pic of my camera, then called the police on me...
And what did the police say?

Your yard, your camera, you can look onto a public road?

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You should get a PTZ camera with tracking or tracking software and mount laser pointers to it. Nothing like having a red dot on your chest that follows you to make the paranoid more so, also fun for cats. Just finished my review on the Hikvision covert camera, then he won't even know he is being watched.

I've been following the drone market and a good one will set you back a grand, but there's new mini-drones in the $150 range that have the same sort of stabilization and ease of use the big boys have. Might have to get me one. Would be cool if they made them with charging bases using wireless charging like they have for cell phones. Then you can keep one on standby, ready to go when the need arises.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes!

A little helipad base station landing ala "roomba" under your carport or covered deck/balcony.
Are you still in time to patent that? ;)

Maybe with a portable miniature Area 51 hangar building with doors or a roof that automatically opens as it approaches for landing. Then closes to keep it clean and safe. Could have a security locking features to fasten to a solid base. Auto-lock on the door against theft. Portable alarm system against intruders. Put solar panels on the roof and required kit with battery in for solar charging. Have to think green and off the grid ;)
I've got dibs on that platinum drone hangar idea :D

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Naa, there has been plenty of trouble with that individual, but nothing regarding the camera. Cops all know it's there, and it's perfectly legal.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did research this and a couple of lawyers' opinions, which seem to coincide with basic common sense to me, is that you can film things like roads as long as you're not specifically spying on neighbors; i.e. if you happen to have a neighbor's house or driveway "inadvertently" in your frame that's fine as long as you're not clearly, deliberately just surveying them.

No neighbors have ever commented on my camera, but they probably have no clue what it's able to see. If they ever did complain I would tell them to pound sand. Well, one neighbor knows my camera can see my grass because we called the town on them after it repeatedly came onto our property chasing my kid :)