Neighbor "i didn't break your window"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think if you want to stay with the current setup, might be better to ensure two cameras are overlapping and they are using the varifocal system so that you can get as much detail in the frame as possible. A camera on the left corner (overlapping with the right camera) may have been able to capture when the rock went airborne. If you had another mounting spot further right from the right corner camera may have been able to get a better visual of the impact :)
These cameras are good, but I doubt it could catch a small rock traveling at speed LOL.

Time for Myth Busters to put it to the test LOL.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't realize we were talking about something that incredibly small, but yes it is very obvious that the neighbor is responsible for damages caused to OP's window. There is absolutely no denying that. :)

These cameras are good, but I doubt it could catch a small rock traveling at speed LOL.

Time for Myth Busters to put it to the test LOL.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have exactly what you're describing with a camera on the opposite corner of the house. The other camera is still blocked by the truck. You're literally looking at the far corner of my driveway. The pavement ends where that truck is parked. Even if I had a 50k budget for cameras there's not much more useful info you're going to get than what was included in that video. Nobody is running general purpose security cameras at 1000 fps so you wouldn't capture the rock mid air anyway even if you had a perfect viewpoint.

Id love to know if you have multi-view full frame coverage of every part of your 4 acre property lol. Everybody's a critic lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I have broken my own truck window and also my front all glass storm door and it did exactly similar to what your video showed.

Both damaged didn't happen on same day, about a year apart but both time I had my chute guard held up because I was trying to cut a overgrown grasses after returning from a long vacation then BAM ... oh what the ,..... @^#&%@

Second time about a year later ... BAM ... not freaking again @&#^%&^@%

Both impacts came from a push lawn mower, I didn't see the damage on my truck windows until I was done mowing but I knew it came from my mower which shot a rock in that direction.

But I saw the whole damage taken place on my storm glass door even I saw the rock shooting out right directly to the glass on my door as I pull my lawn mower backward to get around the garden bed against my house. I so wanted to dive and reach out and grab that rock before it hit my door but I knew I am no "Flash" and I could never be fast enough to get that rock anyway. It shot out like a speeding bullet train.

UGH ........

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have broken my own truck window and also my front all glass storm door and it did exactly similar to what your video showed.

Both damaged didn't happen on same day, about a year apart but both time I had my chute guard held up because I was trying to cut a overgrown grasses after returning from a long vacation then BAM ... oh what the ,..... @^#&%@

Second time about a year later ... BAM ... not freaking again @&#^%&^@%

Both impacts came from a push lawn mower, I didn't see the damage on my truck windows until I was done mowing but I knew it came from my mower which shot a rock in that direction.

But I saw the whole damage taken place on my storm glass door even I saw the rock shooting out right directly to the glass on my door as I pull my lawn mower backward to get around the garden bed against my house. I so wanted to dive and reach out and grab that rock before it hit my door but I knew I am no "Flash" and I could never be fast enough to get that rock anyway. It shot out like a speeding bullet train.

UGH ........
Yea they shatter nicely. He was all surprised at how much it shattered and I'm like yea dude its tempered glass. Its designed to do that so it doesn't cut you to pieces in an accident.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Me n Tony at Twin city lawn used to cut with 2 60" Toro's at commercial properties. He broke a sliding glass door at a 150 unit Apartment site back in 2003. then we spent 8 hours trying to get all the landscape rock out of the lawn.
Then we came up with a way to close the deck with a steel plate on a hinge. whenever we faced vehicles, people, sliding doors, we ran with closed deck. Made a little bit more blower work, but it's worth it. Haven't had a claim since. It will mulch, to some extent, unless your in thick tall grass

Last edited:

Zook

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No legality's needed. Ask him for his homeowners insurance info, turn it in to them.many reasons we pay so much for these wonderful little things we call cameras.
You shouldn't have to deal with fixing the window due to his negligence.
Agreed. One of the many, many reasons we spend so much on these marvelous little things we call cameras. I bet just showing him the video is enough to convince him to offer up his insurance info. Just mention submitting it for a police report and I'm sure he'll even be so kind as to write it down for you himself.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
And the price of snow blowers went up too, makes it extra nerve racking in case I accidently shoot a rock at a neighbors car :facepalm:

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Be careful out there:

In a 2015 report, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) stated that nearly 82,000 people suffered injuries related to lawn mowers and lawn tractors, many of them children.

A small dose of common sense ( i.e. do NOT defeat safety guards) goes a long way.

If cutting deep grass, go slower, take smaller width cuts or raise deck. Plenty of safe options to do what needs to be done without endangering anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my opinion, the mower is suspect. You hear something metallic just prior to impact which I assume is a rock getting rocketed around under the mower before being launched at your window.

If I had to prove my case further, and I was a stubborn SOB I would go as far as finding out the speed of the blade on that model, and taking that rock and anything else pertinent to make calculations, and I'd buy an advanced physics student a latte to do the math. Rock with mass of x winged around and ejected with a velocity of v, takes s tenths of a second to get as far as the truck window etc.

Clearly this neighbor ran around the house as a child with a Red Rider BB gun .. and had a Mother who never uttered the words 'you'll shoot yer eye out!!'.