Nest/Dropcam replacement, looking for advice from anyone with more knowledge than me

Reaction score
3 years ago I bought a Dropcam to be used as baby monitor. I didn't like the cloud service but I could live with it since you aren't forced to pay for it but overall liked the camera for this use. Fast forward 3 years and now we own our first house and have a second baby (6 months old), now I'm look for a camera system that does what the dropcam did and so much more. I've already got a Hikvision DS-2CD3320-I (straight from China for about $40 thanks to my last work trip) that's going outside to watch the front door/entry way and Blue Iris software. Now I need something to replace the Dropcam since it doesn't work with Blue Iris. So I'm looking for something with a small form factor similar to Dropcam but with rtsp stream. Sricam seems to fit but I know it a cheap camera. I've also seen the Hikvision Cube which I like that it's POE but a little more pricey. Keep in mind it'll be indoor use only, must have decent night vision, and doesn't look like I'm filming Big Brother in my house (aka the smaller the better). Since I'm new to this I'm sure I've overlooked some cameras that are regularly used and I'm hoping I can get a little input.

zebrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The hikvision cube is a decent indoor/baby cam if you're on a budget. Doesn't have the "intimidating" look that domes and turrets tend to give off. Has 2 way audio as well but don't expect to have a full conversation with it. I have one I was using indoors but since moved to my garage. It's perfect for watching the baby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

PRC_Save_Me

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hikvision released a newer 4MP version of their Hikvision cube cam, model DS-2CD2442FWD-IW. This camera can be found for under $100 on the gray market. I've used a hikvision cube camera *outdoors* (at the front door because it has 2-way audio) for close to three years now and not once have I had a glitch. I'd get the the Hikvision cube and not bother with cheap, unreliable cameras, it's just not worth the trouble

Dahua has an indoor cube camera for a bit less money but the specifications are worse. If you're looking for something that can be used as a mini indoor PTZ (with optical zoom!), for ~$150, you can get the Dahua SD29204T-GN.