Netgear router as access point has marginal bandwidth

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If you are only getting 100Mbps from that switch then the possibilities are:

1. The laptop/desktop you are performing the speed test from only has a 100Mbps NIC.
2. The switch only has a 100Mbps connection to the upstream router. One of those two pieces of equipment is not seeing the other as a 1Gpbs device.
3. The cable is damaged between the router and the switch.

What does the link light show on the router upstream from the switch? Does it show a 1Gbps connection or 100Mbps?

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for everything so far. I'll rerun the hardwired speed tests on the home router, switch, and garage router and report back.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
There are no lights on the Netgear ports.
From a review. Don't know how accurate. I believe they mean the numbers on the front:

"Lights blink green for a gigabit connection or orange for an standard Ethernet connection (10 or 100 mega bit connection)."

Yes, only 100mb-ish when hardwired into the upstairs switch. No colors on the Netgear switch unfortunately. Here is the model I bought:
From another review, again not sure how accurate:

"The Gigabit link always falls back to 100 Mbps even when connecting 2 of those switches together."

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From a review. Don't know how accurate. I believe they mean the numbers on the front:

"Lights blink green for a gigabit connection or orange for an standard Ethernet connection (10 or 100 mega bit connection)."

From another review, again not sure how accurate:

"The Gigabit link always falls back to 100 Mbps even when connecting 2 of those switches together."
There are no lights on the back near the connections. There are, however, lights on the front that indicate whether it has a WAN connection, whether the 2.4 and 5.0 wireless channels are working, etc. But those lights are white - I've never seen green or orange.

Because they're so cheap I went ahead and ordered a new switch - this time a TP Link unit just to rule out an issue with the Netgear switch. It should arrive today.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
There are no lights on the back near the connections. There are, however, lights on the front that indicate whether it has a WAN connection, whether the 2.4 and 5.0 wireless channels are working, etc. But those lights are white - I've never seen green or orange.

Because they're so cheap I went ahead and ordered a new switch - this time a TP Link unit just to rule out an issue with the Netgear switch. It should arrive today.

I have been buying netgear prosafe switches since I live in the lighting capital of the world and they have a lighting fast lifetime warranty. I had the same routers you are using about 5 or 6 years ago and switched them out three years ago to the R9000 and I have a AXE500 sitting on the floor right now to install

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fullboogie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, some of you guys called it right away. The cable end upstairs at the switch somehow went bad despite working for the last 2/12 years just fine.

I did the hardwire test from my laptop to the switch, and had the same crappy speeds. Then I plugged in the cable bringing internet from downstairs up to the switch, and nothing. Went back to plugging into the switch, and nothing. Suspecting the cable end, I cut it off and installed a new one. I now have full speed (approx. 500 up/down) at the switch and at the second router out in the garage. Simple things first...

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Last edited: