Netgear Router or Pfsense build?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is a Pfsense build overkill for my small home network? My netgear router has done fine as far as I know stopping intruders. Spec'd Pfsense system is about $300 bucks. I'd like more flexibility with my vpn. Something more friendly and native with iOS and Android apps to secure remote camera viewing. Neither like the tap my netgear uses. Thankfully someone found away with Android without rooting.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have become interested in this as well lately and know very little but want to learn. Using an Asus right now but tempted to try Untangle on a box like this :
Amazon.com: Firewall Micro Appliance With 4x Gigabit Intel LAN Ports, 8GB RAM / 120GB mSATA: Computers & Accessories

Comes with Pfsense pre-installed so could play with that as well and there are cheaper options with less ram and ssd size. Will be following to see what others here think. I like overkill! But I bet this will be time consuming.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I like overkill. I spec'd a system around 300 bucks with 4 gb of ram but may just go 8 if I build it.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you link what you spec'd or describe. I am curious!

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has a lot more horsepower than the little box I linked. Wonder what power consumption would be like.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good question. I was looking at efficiency but wasn't terribly concerned about it when picking parts. Integrated graphics, small form factor. Has to be better than my full blown gaming system. Lol

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, but running one of these 24/7 makes you wonder about watt/hours. I have become interested in Untangle mainly because a couple of guys here use it and @fenderman endorsed it. Much to learn. Seems the difference is it actually looks higher up in "the stack" to vet bad shit on your net.
But, much to learn.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It depends on your comfort level and willingness to learn. For me it was not overkill. My preference is to go with solutions that give me options, and I also prefer open source. I like PF because the source code is open and is heavily scrutinized. If you go with a system that is closed source, you are relying on that vendor's capability to secure their own code. Personally, I like the options PF gives me. It has OpenVPN built-in for both inbound and outbound VPN, and there is a client for ios and android (along with most other OS's). This should meet your needs. Your question is very subjective, and only you know your skill set and willingness to learn.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see iOS has an app for openvpn for my router but not for the tap protocol it uses. That's where I'm screwed.

camsmith

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is a Pfsense build overkill for my small home network? My netgear router has done fine as far as I know stopping intruders. Spec'd Pfsense system is about $300 bucks. I'd like more flexibility with my vpn. Something more friendly and native with iOS and Android apps to secure remote camera viewing. Neither like the tap my netgear uses. Thankfully someone found away with Android without rooting.
I was looking at pfsense, but went with untangle because it was supposedly easier to setup and use for non IT pros. What I liked about it was having the ability to have your antivirus, spam filter, web filter and more at the gateway. I got a notice from my isp about copyright infringement on my network. So that made me pull the trigger on getting this setup. I have it installed on a Dell PowerEdge T20. I got it cheap on the dell outlet I think around 199.00 vs 400.00 for the untangle appliance. They charge me 50.00 a year to run the firewall with all the apps. I think its free if you want to run the Lite versions of the apps. It has OpenVPN
Looking back now, I should have went with a low power rackmount device. The poweredge is a mini tower.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I ran into time and money constraints. My buddy has been hounding me to get into drone racing and I tried his first person view goggles while he was flying. Wow is it flipping awesome. So I ended up grabbing a Asus AC3200 and going to flash it with Tomato. As of now I am completely happy with it as she sits. Wife is back on the camera server via VPN so she is happy.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for giggles, what drone and FPV glasses does he have? I assume you picked one up as well if you've slashed your firewall budget.