Netwok connectivity of cameas connected to the NVR PoE switch

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The HIK cameras like the 2CD2332 which are connected to the HIK NVR (like 7604) PoE switch cannot connect to the external network and send email or synchronise their NTP. I have tried with camera firmwares up to 5.1.6 and the NVR firmware uo to 2.3.9.

Has anybody resolved this problem?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Shockwave199
I know fom your posts all your solutions for accessing the camera interface including the cable loop back from the PoE switch to the LAN switch.
Your proposal addresses temporarily the issue of accessing the web interface of the camera from the LAN. This is not the same as my request above i.e. the camera accessing the LAN.

In fact your solution has been permanently and elegantly been addressed in the HIK NVR from firmware 2.3.9 with the feaature "Virtual Host" which essentialy port forwards internally in the NVR, the traffic from the LAN to the camera interface.

My problem is the opposite. It seems that the NVR does not allow the traffic from the camera to the LAN from specific ports like the 123 of the NTP or the 465 port for the email.

So my request still remains answered. Anything else??

Last edited by a moderator:

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh I see. And that's pretty cool about the hik nvr. But why would you want to do that via the cameras? Once they're hooked up to the nvr, let the nvr handle ntp and email. If you want that camera side, take them off the nvr poe and put them on a managed switch, no? Does the hik nvr import remote devices to channels, such as your cameras on an external switch?

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh I see. And that's pretty cool about the hik nvr. But why would you want to do that via the cameras? Once they're hooked up to the nvr, let the nvr handle ntp and email. If you want that camera side, take them off the nvr poe and put them on a managed switch, no? Does the hik nvr import remote devices to channels, such as your cameras on an external switch?
Unfortunately, for several reasons technical or commercial, the NVR does not understand anything about Virtual plane traversal motion triggering and other fancier detection mechanisms that the camera firmware has. Therefore if the camera could have independent access to the LAN, then camera would send the emails when there is a virtual plane traversal triggering.

The NVR can connect to cameras connected to thesame LAN as the NVR. However that means that the camera must be connected to an external and costly PoE switch which I try to avoid since I have already ... paid for the PoE switch in the NVR!!!

Essentially my requirement to the HIK engineers is to forward all network by NATing the camera to another logical port of the NVR LAN port.

So my quest still remains.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In essence, Virtual Host fixed little if any of the primary reasons I was hoping for if what you say is correct.
I haven't disconnected the Hikvison NVR reach around (loop back) here so I'm going from your test.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE on the NVR is not less costly than PoE on a switch; and as you see its much less flexible.. IPCams only need 100Mbit ethernet and with alot of shops upgrading to Gigabit/PoE+ for 802.11ac WiFi you can get used carrier grade PoE switches for cheap.

Can you turn off DHCP/etc on the NVR and uplink one of the PoE ports to your LAN and let them get there IP configuration from there? You'd loose a PoE port but it might work.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@catseyenu
I do not agree with you. The virtual hosting is major addition in the functionality of the NVR. If they add proper routing as well (which is only a software issue) then the NVR will be two devices in one, a router and an NVR.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "... so I'm going from your test"
@nayr
You are right about the ideal way of setting up a surveilance system. Cameras connected to a PoE switch and the PoE switch and the NVR connected to a router. However the cost of the PoE switch is a considerable cost for a budget or residential surveillance plus the additional burden of extra devices to be managed.

The HIK NVR I have does not have any settings for a DHCP server, it only has one setting for defining the the "gateway" of the internal internal switch which is the first IP of an internal to the NVR subnet only for the cameras and only "visible" from the NVR. According to my understanding, there is an internal DHCP that assigns automatically IPs to the cameras, but this subnet is not routed externally to the NVR LAN port. That's why the cameras canot send email, cannot setup NTP and any other network activity. Lately they added port forwarding from the NVR LAN port to the cameras but not the othr way round.

I do not know if there is a NVR with such network functionality.

I would hope that someone would implement additionally in the NVR this internal routing from the cameras to the LAN.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the NVR's Ive looked at charge a premium for PoE ports that if you forgo would cover a used PoE switch, or at least a very nice PoE Midspan/Multiport Injector with more ports.. If you take the price per port thats charged by getting them built into the NVR vs Other options its pretty expensive in reality.. $80-100 for 8 ports? I can get 16 PoE ports for half that if I have an existing switch I can use.. so dont say you went with built in PoE to save money because you probably didnt; to make things simpler yes.. today at work they were giving switches away; you could land a 48 port 100Mbit switch for a song and a dance.

Obviously your NVR is not providing any routing and thus the problem; since the NVR is a closed box you must rely on Hik to provide you features you could have today on a NVR w/out PoE.

PoE NVR's have there place; but only in the most simple of setups.. they try to lock all the cameras away in a walled garden because there security is abysmal and thats the simple solution.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you turn off DHCP/etc on the NVR and uplink one of the PoE ports to your LAN and let them get there IP configuration from there? You'd loose a PoE port but it might work.
Yes, that's what I was calling the Hikvison NVR reach around (loop back).