Network cable termination

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you guys use to terminate cat cables? I got some pass thru clips in hopes it will make this easier.. interested to hear what you guys use.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the monoprice "with inserts" rj45 connectors. I don't see how anything else could be much easier.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you provide a link to exactly what you use
I think it's these for Cat5: Monoprice 8P8C RJ45 Modular Plugs for Solid Cat5/Cat5e Ethernet Cable, 100 pcs/pack - Monoprice.com

You need to make sure you're using the right kind for the right wire (ie solid or stranded)

These are for Cat6: Monoprice 8P8C RJ45 Plug with Inserts for Solid Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 100 pcs/pack - Monoprice.com

The only issue I has when switching from Cat5 to to Cat6 was that my crimper didn't work right on Cat6. It's a nice crimper with interchangeable dies that's crimped many Cat5 plugs, but the action wasn't quite compatible with the Cat6 plugs for some reason. I got a new crimper (not as nice btw) and it handles either just fine.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it's these for Cat5: Monoprice 8P8C RJ45 Modular Plugs for Solid Cat5/Cat5e Ethernet Cable, 100 pcs/pack - Monoprice.com

You need to make sure you're using the right kind for the right wire (ie solid or stranded)

These are for Cat6: Monoprice 8P8C RJ45 Plug with Inserts for Solid Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 100 pcs/pack - Monoprice.com

The only issue I has when switching from Cat5 to to Cat6 was that my crimper didn't work right on Cat6. It's a nice crimper with interchangeable dies that's crimped many Cat5 plugs, but the action wasn't quite compatible with the Cat6 plugs for some reason. I got a new crimper (not as nice btw) and it handles either just fine.
Thanks!

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I crimp on a regular basis so decided a month ago to try the Platinum Tools ez-rj45. Fantastic speedy piece of kit. Ez-RJ45 all the way from now on. Not cheap but worth every penny.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I got some plugs with the 2 insert pieces off Amazon. See how that goes

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I crimp on a regular basis so decided a month ago to try the Platinum Tools ez-rj45. Fantastic speedy piece of kit. Ez-RJ45 all the way from now on. Not cheap but worth every penny.
This is the same kit that I use and yes, worth every cent if you need to crimp cables often or just want to have the best and easiest. Prior to the Platinum one I was using some generic crimper which in all honesty was not bad. I had at one point, some of the connectors that you have to use the separate little insert piece for a while and really disliked that style. Then tried some of the Platinum EZ-RJ45 connectors and really liked those (they did work with my generic crimper too but you had to manually trim the wires sticking out).

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input fellas, im now a pro network cable maker haha

Ps the inserts made a world of difference

Attachments

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice! Can't get the jacket much further in and minimize untwisting the pairs much better than that. :)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most of my vendors (training) do not recommend using EZ connectors, mostly for unreliable/connectivity issues (intermittent). I always use Monoprice connectors without any problem

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What do you guys use to terminate cat cables? I got some pass thru clips in hopes it will make this easier.. interested to hear what you guys use.
In the past, I used just regular Monoprice plugs. They work fine, except that one has to cut the stripped wires to the approx correct length or it doesn't crimp on the jacket. I recently use pass-through plugs and they make it so easy to feed the wires and you can verify wiring correction before you crimp it.
Here is a link to those pass-through plugs I bought from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6SM2L4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use an Ideal crimp tool to crimp them.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MixManSC

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most of my vendors (training) do not recommend using EZ connectors, mostly for unreliable/connectivity issues (intermittent). I always use Monoprice connectors without any problem
That has happened at a lot of places. A local large 45 employee company that specializes in cabling installs ran into that same issue. Turns out there are a LOT of counterfeit Platinum Tools connector and the Pro tool itself on the market. Everything looked mostly right but they ended up working with Platinum to get to the bottom of the problem and it was determined that the dealer they were ordering the tools and the connectors from had both as counterfeit parts. On the counterfeit connectors - they were just not as good of tolerances and on the tools the same. With the tools the biggest problem was the tools were not fully trimming the wire ends flush to the end of the connector. It visually looked okay but on close inspection it was not quite right which depending on what it gets plugged into including a $850 Fluke cable tester) causes a short and failure.

Another issue they had at one point was due to training - a few employees were mixing up the cat5 and cat6 connectors. Usually the cat6 cable will just not go into the cat5 connectors but cat5 cable in the cat 6 connectors was also causing problems. They must be kept separated and used for the correct cables.

With the genuine Platinum Pro tool and genuine connectors and a little training they still use them every single day with essentially zero problems and my friend who owns that company says it saves them a lot of time on larger cable plant installations.