Network cable termination

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
EZ45 had a bad rap initially, but they have fixed that and are the most common tool I see in the broadcast data center world now. I was reluctant at first, but believe in them now mainly because of the installer feedback. This is mission critical shit and it passes spec. No worries now. Agree they need to be genuine Platinum tools and connectors.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm new to making my on cables, tried a several different standard connectors and never was happy with any of them in the end. I was using a good quality Klein crimper too. I finally tried these PASS THRU CONNECTOR with this Klein Tools VDV226-110 CRIMPER and feel much better about my connections.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm new to making my on cables, tried a several different standard connectors and never was happy with any of them in the end. I was using a good quality Klein crimper too. I finally tried these PASS THRU CONNECTOR with this Klein Tools VDV226-110 CRIMPER and feel much better about my connections.
If you use a pass-through plug, you'll need a crimp tool that allows the excess wires to pass through, i.e., the one that has an open-ended crimp window.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you use a pass-through plug, you'll need a crimp tool that allows the excess wires to pass through, i.e., the one that has an open-ended crimp window.
right, look at the one I gave a link to. It does that, really good tool.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't use that particular Klein tool, I use a more conventional, old-school RJ-45 crimper, Monoprice 2 piece RJ-45 with insert for CAT-6 and flush wire cutters. I have used Klein tools for over 45 years and can't say anything bad about them but their marketing dept. dropped the ball on amazon.com and on their own web site regarding that particular tool.

I know you can't rely on many marketing images as they'll have someone from sales, marketing or the like (non-installers) posing with the tools, making videos, etc. so when I noticed the RJ-45 latch facing up, as a tech, my brain just had to note the colors. When I saw the colors wrong based on the latch I looked to see how they lined up with the cable color codes on the side of the tool. The person had them lined up BUT then I noticed that the problem was the color code on the tool was wrong, reversed from a previous image that showed them correctly. It appears the pin numbers AND the colors are wrong on the one image, like it was a prototype tool or something and they rushed to get the image to marketing, etc. Who knows....just make sure YOUR tool has the correct one (see image at end).

One more thing........the "non-installers" are not showing the cable jacket being placed under the sharp jacket grip before crimp; they butt the jacket up against it but don't pass over it with the jacket; the 4 pair take any strain placed on the cable, not the jacket, as the sharp grip doesn't travel enough to hold the flattened 4 pair very well so strain is placed where the gold connector is crimped into the conductor at the end.

It just goes to show you....memorize the layout, understand what you are doing and why you are doing it. Reading, asking experienced people, watching instructional videos is all good but the best teacher is closing the book, getting your hands on it, making a few errors and figuring out how things really work and what you can do to make them work as designed.

KLEIN_CRIMP_ERROR.jpg