Network cabling issues for POE cameras

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Best place to get cables in the US is pretty much monoprice.
If you have amazon prime you can get a generic 100ft cable in two days for 10 bucks or so.

Don't know of retail that sell cables inexpensively. They all want to sell them like printer ink, so I typically pre-order a batch of short cables from monoprice. In a pinch I use amazon two day or just whip some up out of the solid 1000 ft roll.

PS: I guess you could be bold and see if you can force a price match at a local merchant with an online printout. Last time I tried that with worst buy when they were pushing me a $80 cable. Or buy, test and return? Too long, too short. Not advocating for that, but no matter what store I go to, I always see a lot of people returning stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the only things left then are you have the wrong ends for your cable type, the connectors are not making good contact with the camera port or the bulk cable your using is badly defective... I dont think the PoE would matter if you cant establish a normal non-powered link; which should be easy on any cable under 300ft
I concur, and would be inclined to think cable & connector mismatch, rather than a whole bad batch of cable.

Where did this premier cable and connectors come from?

Nanookofthenorth

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you Nayr and Icerabbit. You guys nailed it. I picked up some cat5e connectors last night from a local box store, put them on the suspect 58' cable and presto.

I bought the premier cable from a local electronics parts distributor. I can't remember where I purchased the connectors. Again, thanks to all.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I'm glad that mystery is solved and worked out in the end.

Does highlight the importance of matching components. Even if it all looks a bit generic and standardized, more of the same stuff, it doesn't take much considering a couple variables of wire gauge, insulator and jacket thickness, length of the contact teeth, crimp tool used, ... for there to be a contact issue.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cat6 is minimum for new installs IMHO; having said that it sounds like you either have the wrong ends or are not getting good connections.. are you trying to put cat6 ends on cat5 cable? Or ends for solid on stranded? That wont make a very tight connection.

edit:
This is the cable I suggest: 1000FT Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Plenum Jacket (CMP), 550MHz, 23AWG, White (No Logo) - Monoprice.com
does cat6 23awg vs cat6 24awg make a big difference?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 23AWG would better handle the POE, with less voltage drop.
Figured from what I read, going with the 23awg from monoprice, do you suggest any rj-45 - the reviews on monoprice with the 23awg seem poor.