Network connection to BI PC is lost after power outage. Restored with a reboot?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
My BI PC and camera POE switches are plugged into a UPS backup so that they continue to run and don't go down if the power dips/goes out and don't need to be turned back on when the power does come back.

However, the issue I am having is when the power goes out and comes back on I lose all network access to the PC. Only when I reset it am I able to access UI3 (local or remote) or Google Remote Desktop (shows offline). It has a static IP and I tried resetting the router before resetting the PC to see if this made a difference, and it did not.

This is not an issue when I am home since I can physically access to reboot, but if the power were to dip and come back on while I am gone I would not have any way to reboot the PC to get it back online.

Any thoughts? Currently only the PC and POE switches are on the UPS, should I also add the router and see if that changes anything?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, add the router to the UPS
I wasn't sure if this would make a difference since when I occasionally need to reset the network (switches, modem, router) it doesn't affect the connection of the BI PC and doesn't need a reboot.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you change the behavior of the PC in the BIOS to resume on AC loss,
What is the AC recovery setting in BIOS? Sometimes the UPS power options built into the UPS cause unexpected results on my HP....So i have thought about having the UPS do nothing, and let the BIOS handle a reboot, and then Windows will run BI as a service....
Some Bios are like this example below.

If AC Recovery is set to Power On, the computer will power on after it is disconnected and then connected to a power supply.
If AC Recovery is set to Last State, the computer will resume to the last state after it is disconnected and then connected to a power supply.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
The UPS is just an inbetween, it's not controlling anything with the PC as far as any "smart UPS" settings. The PC also never powers off and stays on the entire time.

BI is running as a service and is good to go after a reboot and sitting at the login screen.

I think it has something to do with a dip in the router from the network? I will see if I can recreate the issue and then add the router to the UPS and see if it clears it up.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The UPS is just an inbetween, it's not controlling anything with the PC as far as any "smart UPS" settings. The PC also never powers off and stays on the entire time.

BI is running as a service and is good to go after a reboot and sitting at the login screen.

I think it has something to do with a dip in the router from the network? I will see if I can recreate the issue and then add the router to the UPS and see if it clears it up.
You might also want to check and make sure that the static IP assignment of your BI computer is outside the range or "scope" of the DHCP assignments of the router. Oftentimes the router is automatically setup to assign the full available range of (private) IPs (for example 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254), and this could result in your BI computer conflicting with another device on your LAN, depending on the order of devices coming up after restarts. If you limit the scope of DHCP addresses that the router can hand out, and insure that the static IP of your BI computer is outside this range, it may solve your problem.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
You might also want to check and make sure that the static IP assignment of your BI computer is outside the range or "scope" of the DHCP assignments of the router. Oftentimes the router is automatically setup to assign the full available range of (private) IPs (for example 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254), and this could result in your BI computer conflicting with another device on your LAN, depending on the order of devices coming up after restarts. If you limit the scope of DHCP addresses that the router can hand out, and insure that the static IP of your BI computer is outside this range, it may solve your problem.
That makes sense. I will need to see how it is set up.

When I reset this morning, I started by trying a reboot on the router. This did not help.
I then rebooted the BI PC. This fixed it.

Could/should either of those scenarios have fixed or created a conflict?

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Instead of limiting the range I reserved the IP for the BI server. I will see how this works. I am still working through some network reorganization and trying to figure out how I want to handle all of it.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That makes sense. I will need to see how it is set up.

When I reset this morning, I started by trying a reboot on the router. This did not help.
I then rebooted the BI PC. This fixed it.

Could/should either of those scenarios have fixed or created a conflict?
I have to admit that it is odd that the fix is a reboot of the BI computer, rather than the router. Usually if it were an IP conflict, the router reboot would help sort that out, as they tend to be able to "see" and avoid assigning conflicts if they detect static assignments on the network, again somewhat dependent on order of operations. In any case, I would still check to make sure that isn't the fundamental problem, it can't hurt.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to admit that it is odd that the fix is a reboot of the BI computer, rather than the router. Usually if it were an IP conflict, the router reboot would help sort that out, as they tend to be able to "see" and avoid assigning conflicts if they detect static assignments on the network, again somewhat dependent on order of operations. In any case, I would still check to make sure that isn't the fundamental problem, it can't hurt.
I thought the same thing, especially considering I can reboot the router and everything is fine. This only happens when the power goes out.

Like I said above, I reserved the IP for the server. I will kill the power in a bit and see what happens.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Also in BI check under Settings > Web server > Local, internal (LAN) access that you don't have more than one adaptor listed under the pull-down or, if you do, that the correct one is selected and check the Bind exclusively box.

BI seems to get confused when it can't find the router and will try another adapter at times and then doesn't recover when the router comes back. I saw that when I was moving to a new router and had things up and down between the two and couldn't figure out why BI wasn't accessible.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Also in BI check under Settings > Web server > Local, internal (LAN) access that you don't have more than one adaptor listed under the pull-down or, if you do, that the correct one is selected and check the Bind exclusively box.

BI seems to get confused when it can't find the router and will try another adapter at times and then doesn't recover when the router comes back. I saw that when I was moving to a new router and had things up and down between the two and couldn't figure out why BI wasn't accessible.
That could make a difference. I have 3 IPs associated with the PC and it could very well get confused if the main network goes down, but this doesn't explain Google Desktop not connecting...?

It was set to my camera network adapter. I chose the main network and checked bind. I am sure this will help as well as reserving the IP.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
What kind of PC are we talking about? maybe there is a hardware/software setting that could be investigated
i7-10700k on an MSI micro-ATX motherboard with 32gb of ram running Windows 10.
Are the IP addresses in the PC static or DHCP?

If DHCP then this could be a reason?
Have been static from Day 1.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok. thinking outloud, here, like the crazy lady on my Bus....what about the NIC settings? or what type of NIC are you running? Some have more / diff features than others.
1688821645406.png