Network Cupboard depth?

Talos77

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking at mounting my NVR in a wall mounted network cupboard in my garage. I've noticed they seem to come in standard depths of 300, 450 and 600mm (external dimensions). Just wondering what depth units others who have gone a similar path have used. I don't want to get one too shallow so that I can't close the door for fear of bending/breaking the cabling but I would like it to be as shallow as possible so it's not jutting out too far as a potential head clash risk

I'd be looking at putting in the cupboard the following:
1 - NVR
2 - patch panel
3 - switch
4 - router
5 - UPS
6 - Rackmount power panel

So i'd probably be looking at getting an 8 or 9RU unit to allow some space in there for ventilation - along the lines of this Ugly Cable | 8U 8RU 19 Inch Wall Mount Rack Cabinet for Networking and Comms 450mm Deep WC8U | Ugly Cable

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

darrenph1

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think 8U is gonna be a bit tight for all the above and there is no way you'll get a UPS in that box with the equipment and you always want to leave some space for venitaltion and expansion. As for depth, it depends but I'd say 450mm is plenty. I don't have an NVR so not sure how deep those are but the switch and power panels are my deepest pieces at 230mm.

Excuse the mess as its still a WIP but as you see in the pic, in the top 8RU I have:
1. Power panel
2. 1RU space
3. Edge Router Lite
4. Cable Guide
5. Switch

My UPS shows up this week but will end up on the bottom since its not a rack mount unit.