Network Design Question

3Cubed

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone.

I'm about to start a little new networking adventure for some surveillance cameras and a BI server.
In order to work with the existing network cabels of the house I need to split my network in to two groups like so:

Main Network point, site A:
ISP provided cabel router ->
  • Synology NAS (Old 2 bay model) This should probably be moved to the GS1910
  • Small dum POE+ switch->
    • Doorbell/Cam (Doorbird) BI Perhaps this should also move to the GS1910
    • Wifi AP
      • 2xWIFI 5Mp Cams BI
  • Zyxel GS1910-24 (Managed switch) ->
    • Sonos
    • 3xSmart TV
    • 1xPS4
    • 1xGaming Computer
    • Solar panels
    • Smart Lighting
    • Switch at Site B, POE+ Managed or unmanaged?
      • 2x4Mp Cams BI
      • 1x5Mp PTZ cam BI
      • 1xFisheye cam 8Mp? BI
      • 2x pie computers, each running 2 cams one for day and one for night. Maybe one of those will be running 3 cams if possible, I dont know yet. BI
      • BlueIris Server BI
      • Wifi AP
Questions:
  1. The switch at site B, does it need to be a managed switch in order to prevent all the cam traffic at site B to go to the router or managed switch?
  2. I'm worried that the single RJ45 Cat 5E cabel between Site A and B will become a bottleneck. It will carry (like is shown in the chart) 3 Cams and internet traffic to WIFI AP traffic to Site B. Keeping Network traffic connected to the Switch at site B seams like the best design philosophy.
  3. Currently I'm not using any of the SFP ports on the Zyxel Switch at Site A, but should I use one of these to connect to the switch at site B, If so does that roule out any switch at site B without SFP port?

This is be my first post here and I'm afraid it's kind of a nonb post, but I did not find anything like this when trying to search so please go easy one me it this has been up many times before.

Kind Regards Kasper

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll have a stab at this.

1 - A managed switch would be ideal, but remember you can block the cameras at the router. As an alternate you can add a second NIC to the BI machine and use a totally different IP subnet for the cameras.

2 - A CAT5E or CAT6 cable will handle a gigabit of data. Unless distance is an issue that should work fine. You're not going to see more than 100Mb/PS on that link. A fiber link would provide electrical isolation between the two locations and mitigate surges like lightning strike pulses and so on so there is an advantage to fiber.

3 - You could use any switch at "Site B" simply by using an SPF to copper converter, but again, you can stay with copper since you don't need that kind of bandwidth but you're rolling the dice on electrical spikes.

Another alternative would be a WiFi bridge dedicated, encrypted, RF link like a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5. That will handle about 500 Mb/PS without much trouble and provide electrical isolation as well as eliminate trenching and conduit or an overhead run of either copper or fiber.

brianegge

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are worried about cable capacity, I suggest setting up snmp monitoring. Life is easiest if you get another Zyxel GS1910-24 for your second location.