Network Interface Card

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been looking for a dual port NIC for my HP G4 800 SFF i8500 desktop and came across the following:

DIEWU Intel I210 PCIe 1 Gigabit fiber network lan card 10/100/1000Mbps network card for Desktop TXA026

US $38.27 5% OFF|Intel I210 PCIe 1 Gigabit fiber network lan card 10/100/1000Mbps network card for Desktop TXA026-in Network Cards from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Cost is US$38 but with free shipping (doubt there will be import duty).

My desktop has two PCI express x1 low profile expansion sockets, one PCI express x 16 expansion socket and one PCI express x 16 downgraded to x4 expansion socket. I am using the PC ptimarily as a BI server and wont be changing the graphics card.

The fibre port will be connected to the SFP port on my switch. This option will also hopefully provide me with dual NIC which I dont currently have.

In addition I am looking at the fibre rather than ethernet option because I understand fibre will provide the PC some protection from lightning strike.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Some protection, I suppose. However if you've got a normal network cable also connected to outdoor cameras (through switches and more conductive cables of course) then it won't be very meaningful. if that fiber connection is the only connection going to your PoE switch besides cameras, then it may protect your PC.

If you don't mind using older equipment, you can get used SFP cards on ebay much cheaper. They are mostly cards that were retired from data centers.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks bp2008.

Yes, the fibre connection will be the only connection to the PC. For the cameras I will use the Ubiquiti ethernet surge protectors, which I found reference to on this forum.

Just thought the fibre optic between the switch and PC would add another level of comfort. Separately I am powering the PC with an APC UPS with surge protection from the power side.

Thanks also for the tip on used SFP cards.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Walrus. Correct. That’s my bad. What I should have said is I have no need for the graphics slot. I am using the onboard graphics .... no graphics card installed.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good to hear, just making sure. It would be wasting power.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
The link you posted is not a dual-nic ethernet card. Is that the right link? Unless you go with fibre....

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The link you posted is not a dual-nic ethernet card. Is that the right link? Unless you go with fibre....
Yes it’s fiber optic and I will run a fiber optic cable direct to the SPF switch. Separately there is also an Ethernet RJ45 NIC on the Pc for access to the router.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
He means adding it will make the computer have dual nics.

CV350

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Two NIC and the lightning protection between the switch and the PC. Just thought if I need another NIC may as well try and enhance it. It was more about whether I had the right PCI-e card but I think that’s ok now so I have hit the order button.