Network security for remote hardwired ip cameras ?

happf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am wanting to mount to two cameras in a hidden enclosure down by the street sidewalk next to the neighborhood entrance to capture all traffic in and out. Hopefully I can grab license plates. Had some robberies lately and it would be nice to start capturing this. The cameras would be at ground level.

I was wondering about network security if somebody was to find them, and I'm sure at some point they will, I'm limited in how well I can hide them. I would run two cables from my home network underground (not deep, lots of trees and roots) down to the street and I would be putting a box on the ground next to all the other boxes for telephone, cable, etc. I was going to mount the cameras inside and just hopefully drill the smallest hole that still lets me get a view. My worry is in theory, somebody could just unplug a camera and connect to my home network?

I'm reading into managed switches and it looks like I could lock a port to a specific macaddress. Seems like that would help stop most issues.

1) If one connects an unauthorized mac address to that port, would they still see any of my other traffic or does the switch shut that port completely down?
2) How tough is it for them to connect the camera, get it's macaddress, then spoof it?
3) What if they shock that cable with some excessive voltage? Could they bring down my home network, burn out other switches and all my other cameras?
4) Was thinking of getting a dedicated 2 port POE nvr just for those two cameras.
5) Should I go with wifi cameras and just run a 12v power wire down there? I'm worried about wifi reception though and none of the dahua cameras I was looking at had wifi. Then again, I could go ahead and run two cables from another internal switch and then use a wifi point inside my house to connect over to my main network. Then the cameras would be on their own complete physical cable network.
6) I've thought about longer zoom cameras and just mounting them closer to the house but there are a lot of trees.
7) Any other easier things to do to ensure my home network can't be comprised with these remote cameras?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Successful LPR reading is an art. Read here: LPR

Don't use WiFi cams. They suck.

Loose lips sink ships....Only tell anyone that needs to know that the cameras are there. It is unlikely they will be found, and less likely they will use to hijack your network.