Network Switch connect to the NVR integrate switch

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an 8 channel Hikvision NVR were only 4 port are use for the local cameras.
Another 4 cameras are connect on a standalone switch...
Can I connect one port to the NVR switch direct to the standalone switch so all the cameras are on the same network?

Thanks

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you can plug the WAN port of NVR to Standalone switch. then do a “remote device “ search in the nvr menu. and add each cam. need to kniw the admin /password of each camera.

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
you can plug the WAN port of NVR to Standalone switch. then do a “remote device “ search in the nvr menu. and add each cam. need to kniw the admin /password of each camera.
I was thinking to avoid and buy another switch.
I like the idea to have all the cameras on a different network of my home one.
I guess I need buy another switch then

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simplest way if possible is to plug the cameras into the NVR POE port - the NVR itself isolates the cameras from the rest of your network and puts them on a different IP subnet.

If you connect the cameras to a switch and then the switch to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR (you cannot connect the POE switch to a POE port on the NVR), then your cameras are potentially on your home network because you would have to plug your home network into the camera switch in order to be able to access the NVR from an app or remotely.

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks wittaj,

Because the remote 4 or the 8 cameras are not accessible I need use an external switch.
My question was if the POE switch at the back of the NVR is like "smart" and check if need inject the 48v or not.
Because if was "smart", I can connect the cable that come direct form the remote switch streigh to one free port of the NVR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope the POE ports on the NVR can only accept one camera, so if you connect a POE switch to the NVR POE port, it will not see any of the cameras (although some claim that they have had it work).

Any external switch needs to be hooked to the WAN/LAN port of the NVR.

Further you cannot exceed the total channels either. So your NVR will only accept 8 cameras total.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
so if you connect a POE switch to the NVR POE port, it will not see any of the cameras (although some claim that they have had it work)
I'm sure i've done this successfully, but would need to test again.

I may have only had a single camera plugged into the switch.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure i've done this successfully, but would need to test again.

I may have only had a single camera plugged into the switch.
Yeah my neighbor got it to work with two camera on a POE switch going into the NVR port on a Dahua that clearly said it wasn't possible LOL.

There is probably a way to make it work, but the manufacturers don't want to say that as they would field too many calls LOL.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do they say it's not possible or it's not supported because there's a substantial difference between the two.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, it is probably not supported.