Network Switch Suggestions for Home Use - Cisco C3560X?

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cisco C3560X - A Good Choice For A Network Switch?

Planning on expanding the camera system and adding additional Dahua IP cameras. Looking at a 24 port POE network switch that is NOT a power hog and does not sound overly loud for home use. Intend to use this switch with BI.

Would a Cisco C3560X-24P-L be a good choice? The used market price is in the range of $90.

Did notice in the Networking section one comment on this switch, but no other information.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I use 2 WS-C3560G-48PS that are 11 years old and still run strong, with Cisco you can't go wrong but those machines are not for home use since the fans make some noise, I have mine in the attic in a switch cabinet and forgot they exist.

If you have space and know how to program them buy it.

If you don't know how to program ask the seller to do a factory reset and use it like an unmanaged switch. Also ask seller to put the lastest firmware, without a contract you can't download it.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
How many cameras? Knowing what I know now, ( story of my life), I might steer you toward fanless unmanaged solutions for home. maybe two 12 Port models or similar, I have the 3560X in my rack at work where noise isn't a huge deal. the hot swap fans and PSU's are nice. When running the 715 Watt PSU power supply it seems I heard the case fans running more. When I put in the 1100 Watt Psu as the hot swap backup, the 715 watt fans ran louder and continously. I tried the 1100 watt as the primary and unplugged the 715 watt, and things got quiet. now it's tolerable. Why ? I don't know exactly.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If most of your camera's draw 802.3af power requirements, then the POE switches that offer a Per-port power budget that allows everything to run on the "af" standard, but also lets a few ports to be the higher output POE 802.3at , would save you electricity. IMO.
the c3560x can make "802.3at" power to all if not most of the 24 ports with a 715 watt supply. might be a bit more energy hungry? I don't have the "kill a watt" device to measure it.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
...ask the seller to do a factory reset and use it like an unmanaged switch. Also ask seller to put the latest firmware, without a contract you can't download it.
Appreciate your kind suggestions. An unmanaged switch, at this point, would be my first choice as there is presently no need for a managed switch. Like your comments about what to ask the seller. Will see what they have to say. The price is reasonable, let's hope the shipping costs to the end of the trail are likewise reasonable!!

The overall goal is to move towards BI. Have 8 bullet Dahua cameras that all perform well with a 16 port Dahua NVR. There is no overwhelming need to change, but would like work with BI and draw my own conclusions.

The fan noise could be a problem as pointed out by "Flintstone61". Have seen some posts that change out the fan for a quieter option. The switch will be mounted within three feet of an office desk. Thus a little noise is OK.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The fan noise could be a problem as pointed out by "Flintstone61". Have seen some posts that change out the fan for a quieter option. The switch will be mounted within three feet of an office desk. Thus a little noise is OK.
In one client to simplify my work I have under my desk an 3650 it's a working environment and I still can listen the fans, the sound is not high but persistent, at home close to a desk I don't recommend.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using a Dahua NVR-5216-16P that is close to the desk. The fans are very noticeable. Not overly loud but less noise would be nice.

What is the comparison of fan noise from the 5216 NVR (two fans - one in the power supply and the other for the circuit board) to the Cisco C3560X if anyone has experience using both devices. Trying to get a feeling if the sound levels are about the same or entirely different.

Appreciate the links for the power supply and fan. Having a source for replacements parts is a plus.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I would say with the 1100 Watt PSU installed that it's tolerable. For what ever reason the 715 Watt PSU's fan runs at a somewhat higher rpm, pushing the same load.
I got the 1100 watt used on ebay. been running for over a year now with no issues.
Now that NVR-5216 is a fan noise you can modulate with a Noctua fan. I have nvr 4108 and thats tolerable and it might use a similar fan part# as the 5216.
The nightowl/Hik fans were annoying. I bought the noctua fans for them and they are quiet. SO much so that I could finally hear the Cisco LOL.

71at786W2SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Alaska Country

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like the fan suggestion and the link.

Took a look at the local Craig's List and nothing found. Much better luck with eBay. Checked with a few sellers for the Cisco C3560X and the shipping costs are almost the same as the eBay asking price for the switch.

One person suggested dumpster diving, but one would have to be in the right place at the right time for any degree of success. Bet that a number of these units have been tossed and never made it to the 'give it away free' pile!

Will keep on looking and see what can be had that is closer than the East coast.