Never imagined it would happen to me ...

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After re-reading your original post, if they really had bad intentions, and there were 5 of them, why didn't they gang up on you and take you to town right then and there? You said you interacted with one of them? If they were really "bad ass" the others would have jumped you when you were talking to the one of them. Maybe it's more innocent than I originally thought. BUT... still a wake up call and maybe a good one (no bad outcome) to have had.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My guess is that they are just starting out, have watched too much TV and seen too many movies, and tried to duplicate what they "learned" from that "research". Next time, if they aren't totally spooked from this experience, they might be more prone to following the TV and movie scripts.

Reaction score
I hate to derail this, but @Holbs, how's that Bosch working out? What's the detection pattern and range look like
will let you know when finalized. Had to dig 50' trench, purchased 1" PVC, ran DC wire for LED lamp post lights and 5 underground Cat6 cables (2 camera's, 1 PIR, a possible second PIR at a different angle, 1 spare). Still in progress. Should be completed by end of this weekend.

Reaction score
Tonight my property was invaded by a gang of five. Two were posted as lookouts at the front door, one near the corner of the property, while two checked the garage door. It appears the fifth was a lookout at the side of my corner lot (not sure).

Got notified of motion on my property. I interrupted whatever they had planned and one of them kept me distracted while the others quickly walked away. Didn't really know what was going on until I reviewed video. Will see how cops wish to proceed when they respond to the non-emergency phone message.

Won't panic but clearly need more deterrence. I think a fence would have helped and possibly more motion activated lighting at the darker recesses of the property where they posted lookouts. Will certainly ask for help with additional security cams when the time comes..
2 Rottweilers?
crossbow?
If I read some of the replies right... you have a gun (pistol or rifle?) but by your local law, has to be in a indoor safe. Is that right? That can't be :)

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
2 Rottweilers?
crossbow?
If I read some of the replies right... you have a gun (pistol or rifle?) but by your local law, has to be in a indoor safe. Is that right? That can't be :)
Yes, that's Canada. Handguns are even more restricted than rifles in Canada too. Vegas was a good vacation spot to visit the indoor ranges and test out all the different guns that can't be owned in Canada...until Covid hit.

Reaction score
Yes, that's Canada. Handguns are even more restricted than rifles in Canada too.
this might screw up the topic discussion...but i'm curious. Do Canadian authorities expect you to use harsh language during a home invasion or 5 guys jumping you on your front porch? Surely, they has to be allowable home defensive actions that can be taken

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
this might screw up the topic discussion...but i'm curious. Do Canadian authorities expect you to use harsh language during a home invasion or 5 guys jumping you on your front porch? Surely, they has to be allowable home defensive actions that can be taken
It can get messy if you shoot an intruder in Canada... see this article. He was eventually found not-guilty but was a huge PITA for him along the way...

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It can get messy if you shoot an intruder in Canada... see this article. He was eventually found not-guilty but was a huge PITA for him along the way...
My parents ran a family farm. The bad people in the community were pure evil when drunk. I can easily imagine myself in that dudes shoes.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but if your reputation is the "gingerbread man" you may as well paint a target on yourself, your house and your car no matter their ages. That says "easy target" to these, excuse the expression, people.
My house looks the part. I'll work on it :headbang:

… if they really had bad intentions, and there were 5 of them, why didn't they gang up on you and take you to town right then and there?
Exactly. That's why I feel they were LARPing. Too many people and too elaborate. Like a bad Hollywood script.

Not really a lot of options. You are obligated to de-escalate and retreat.

Based on feedback I'll try to evaluate different types of fences … including no fence at all. Tough decision.

For the most part I'll do something similar to what you are doing Holbs with lighting and PIR motion detection. Should be In place soon; parts are on order. If the neighbors don't like it they can just go ahead and organize another five person hit squad. :highfive:

Maybe next year I can integrate new cameras and AI based video analysis. Things would have to escalate quite a bit before I get a dog but writing on the wall suggests this is possible.

slip kid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In 3rd world countries everybody who can afford to uses security walls and security doors in a similar way that our crappy neighborhoods have bars on their windows and doors. Formerly safe and secure middle class neighborhoods in Western nations are entering that phase as the 3rd world principles invades us. While diversity is our strength, watch how strong we'll have to be to resist the carnage.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
In 3rd world countries everybody who can afford to uses security walls and security doors in a similar way that our crappy neighborhoods have bars on their windows and doors. Formerly safe and secure middle class neighborhoods in Western nations are entering that phase as the 3rd world principles invades us. While diversity is our strength, watch how strong we'll have to be to resist the carnage.

If you build the wall high enough yes. It's been well shown in crime surverys though that burglars don't like to be seen and high walls (normal size) and hedges actaully increase the chance of being burgled. The way around this is to have a see through deterrent such as a steel fence / wall fence combo. This then creates a double whammy of it being diffcult to get in (and out if spotted), but the burglars also in plain sight to neighbours / passers by if they do get ov er the fence.

On my own home, I have a 10ft hedge around the rear of the proeprty, but the rear gate which is viewable from the road and aligns wih the house, is a metal gate. This makes entry diffcult but ensures anyone getting in can be seen from the road whilst making entry to the property.

If you absolutely want a foreign style compound, then you're probably looking at a wall of the type used around prisons ie 10ft+ with rounded stones on top (these prevent grappling which is why they're used). However, then you home also becomes a prison and any view you have obstructed. You still have the same issue tht if they do get in, then you're alone in so far as no-one can see what's happening or as they say in space movies, no one can hear you scream!

BTW I have some large "Beware of the Dog it Bites, You have been warned" signs front and back on my property. I also have an XXL dog bowl and some large dog toys in plain sight through the rear gate...