New 5208-8P-4KS2E w/ NVR 4.0 GUI questions

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a new NVR and a 5241H-AS-PV active deterrence camera. I cannot for the life of me get this thing to trigger the LED or play a recording when a tripwire is triggered. Also i've searched for the user manual for the new 4.0 but can only find one in HDCVI and it's not the same. is there a way to flash the old GUI into this NVR? at least there are user manuals for it. I figured a new NVR would be the solution to smartPSS but there is no manual. I entered the website that comes on the little QR code when you purchase it and it takes me to an old manual. the 5241 website didnt even work. I went to dauhas site and searched the camera model and pulled the manual but it doesn't talk about how to activate the LED. I have smartplan IVS on, and a tripwire enables and still nothing.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a new NVR and a 5241H-AS-PV active deterrence camera. I cannot for the life of me get this thing to trigger the LED or play a recording when a tripwire is triggered. Also i've searched for the user manual for the new 4.0 but can only find one in HDCVI and it's not the same. is there a way to flash the old GUI into this NVR? at least there are user manuals for it. I figured a new NVR would be the solution to smartPSS but there is no manual. I entered the website that comes on the little QR code when you purchase it and it takes me to an old manual. the 5241 website didnt even work. I went to dauhas site and searched the camera model and pulled the manual but it doesn't talk about how to activate the LED. I have smartplan IVS on, and a tripwire enables and still nothing.
It might (or might not) be the case that these settings are not (yet) exposed to that NVR's gui. What I suggest: go to the webservices interface (), press top-left menu, choose camera's, and press the IE icon next to your deterrence cam. Configure the cam with tripwires, flashing, sounds as a "standalone" cam. Save the settings and off you go!

Good luck!
CC

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'll give it a shot. i really need to redo all of my network, i have a cable modem in bridge mode sending a cable to a an access point in the attic, so i've got 192.168.0.1, and 1.1, and the new camera self assigned a 10.0 IP address when i plugged it into the NVR, i didn't have to initialize this one for some reason, maybe that's part of the new GUI. I had hell trying to initialize another camera i just received, it literally took 3 hours. config tool was able to initialize some others even tho the default .108 IP was on a different subnet, figure that one out lol. I see some screen shots of the 4.0 GUI that shows the LED and siren settings where you can make it flash, etc. but those are no where to be found in this NVR 4.0 software. Can i flash this firmware back to a previous version without issue? starting to regret this purchase and maybe should have went the BI route. logging direct into the cameras IP seems easier, but it's difficult on my end, i have to change IP address and my whole house and computer shuts down.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
i'll give it a shot. i really need to redo all of my network, i have a cable modem in bridge mode sending a cable to a an access point in the attic, so i've got 192.168.0.1, and 1.1, and the new camera self assigned a 10.0 IP address when i plugged it into the NVR, i didn't have to initialize this one for some reason, maybe that's part of the new GUI. I had hell trying to initialize another camera i just received, it literally took 3 hours. config tool was able to initialize some others even tho the default .108 IP was on a different subnet, figure that one out lol. I see some screen shots of the 4.0 GUI that shows the LED and siren settings where you can make it flash, etc. but those are no where to be found in this NVR 4.0 software. Can i flash this firmware back to a previous version without issue? starting to regret this purchase and maybe should have went the BI route. logging direct into the cameras IP seems easier, but it's difficult on my end, i have to change IP address and my whole house and computer shuts down.
Couple of things (tips):
  • maybe you saw version 4.0 firmware for the cam (and not the NVR)?
  • each "new" cam automagically falls into that .108 IP (colliding with everything else which you power-on). The good news is: if you connect a brand new cam onto an NVR, it gets automagically configured by the NVR, you shouldn't mess around with configtool and other IP changing tools like pcs rebooting etc
  • in follow-up of the previous: if you have a stubborn cam which you powered on and got that .108 address, the easiest way is simply opening up the cam, connect it to a POE port of the NVR, press and hold the reset button for (10?) seconds (until you hear it buzz because it reboots), and hooray, the NVR will grab the cam and auto-configure it.
  • yes, that 10.x range is "unaccessible" from your LAN (which is kinda like a vlan, so you are pretty sure no-one can sneak through into your cams anyway), however (see my first post) you are still able to "activate" a temporary local static route towards the webinterface of your cam. After a while, even that "port forward" disappears automagically.

Don't give up so easy, there is a learning curve with each new technology (and for IPC's, you need some expertise in different domains, like networking, TCPIP, camera settings itself, IVS - intrusion boxes, tripwires, motion detection, ... and much more!)
CC

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah this is day 2, i just used the config tool to change the IP, now i'm in to the cameras GUI. going to set all the IVS that way and see if it works properly. naah this is a new NVR and has the 4.0 GUI in it, i can't find a users manual anywhere for it.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nope, everything is configured properly in the camera GUI, there's more in there than in the new NVR 4.0. it's set up to flash the led for 5 seconds and play a warning message, ivs enabled, trip wire set, it's not detecting motion.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
still a no-go... i tried it in smartPSS and when i click on settings - event and Intelligent Analyse a window pops up and says "Warning - Exceed the big connect!" what the HELL does that mean? the tripwire is showing, but nothing happens when i cross it.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
It should work when configuring in the cam itself. If you don't have these options available in the cam, there might be something else wrong.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's in the camera GUI but andy said this camera is so new that the new NVR 4.0 GUI doesnt support it yet?

this is driving me nuts, i bought this new NVR to make things simple, it's supposed to be better than smartPSS.

so now here's' my other issue. When you plug a new camera into the NVR and turn it on, it automatically initializes it and assigns it an IP of 10.1.1.65. When you click on Camera in the main NVR menu and Camera Registration it shows the camera as already being initialized. When you click initialize, or Modify IP it says please select a camera, when you select it it's like you didn't select anything. Its like the camera needs to be uninitialized before you can change the IP, but as soon as you plug it in, it assigns it a 10.1.1.65 and takes it off the list. when you click search or adjust the filters it still cannot see this camer to allow you to change the IP address, lots of problems right from the start, i just dont get it!

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
so now here's' my other issue. When you plug a new camera into the NVR and turn it on, it automatically initializes it and assigns it an IP of 10.1.1.65. When you click on Camera in the main NVR menu and Camera Registration it shows the camera as already being initialized. When you click initialize, or Modify IP it says please select a camera, when you select it it's like you didn't select anything. Its like the camera needs to be uninitialized before you can change the IP, but as soon as you plug it in, it assigns it a 10.1.1.65 and takes it off the list. when you click search or adjust the filters it still cannot see this camer to allow you to change the IP address, lots of problems right from the start, i just dont get it!
SmartPSS is sometimes running "behind" the camera firmwares. Hence my tip to configure the cam by itself, and not through the NVR & SmartPSS.

Regarding your issue: why would you "uninitialize" or even "modify IP" when the camera is connected to a POE port of your NVR? Let it handle the IPs and channel attributes, that's why you bought the NVR for. If you want to manage all by yourself, why did you buy it in the first place? So I don't actually "see" your problem, it is working as designed (eg. unconnected cams get connected and "disappear" from the camera-detection-list, but get promoted to the known-camera-list.).

Good luck!
CC

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SmartPSS is sometimes running "behind" the camera firmwares. Hence my tip to configure the cam by itself, and not through the NVR & SmartPSS.

Regarding your issue: why would you "uninitialize" or even "modify IP" when the camera is connected to a POE port of your NVR? Let it handle the IPs and channel attributes, that's why you bought the NVR for. If you want to manage all by yourself, why did you buy it in the first place? So I don't actually "see" your problem, it is working as designed (eg. unconnected cams get connected and "disappear" from the camera-detection-list, but get promoted to the known-camera-list.).

Good luck!
CC

remember earlier? i have to go into the camera GUI to set the IVS, i can't do that unless i change the IP to 192.168.0.xxx so that i can access it from my browser. a reset cam shows 192.168.1.108 and i still can't see it on my network. i can't change my computer/network IP because my house will basically shut down and then i'm dead in the water.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember earlier? I adviced you to stick to the 10.x range given by the NVR, and press the

Icon next to it. Configure the camera through that webbrowser and all should be good.

Then configure recording 24/7/IVS/... as usual on the NVR.

Good luck!
CC

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remember earlier? I adviced you to stick to the 10.x range given by the NVR, and press the

Icon next to it. Configure the camera through that webbrowser and all should be good.

Then configure recording 24/7/IVS/... as usual on the NVR.

Good luck!
CC
lets' start over. I have a new 5208 NVR which has the NEW 4.0 GUI, and a new 5241H IP camera. I am simply trying to enable the IVS to get the camera to flash it's internal light and play a recording when someone crosses the tripwire. I cannot get it to do this, there are no instructions about this in the camera manual and it's missing in the NVR 4.0 menu. my 2231 camera IVS tripwire works fine. the 5241 does not. in the NVR IVS config under trigger you can check the box for camera audio and choose an outgoing message and the is a check box that says camera light and no other options. Either I missed another checkbox or this new NVR 4.0 simply does not support this camera (according to andy). I wanted an NVR that i could have complete control over the cameras with. i thought the 5208 was the answer, changing the camera IP to go into the camera GUI via browser, or make setting changes via SmartPSS is just not practical and doesn't make sense to me.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and there's no internet explorer logo next to anything in this NVR

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOL there isnt in NVR 4.0, (using the mouse and monitor plugged direct into the NVR) you're in the web browser of the NVR. THEN you goto the camera page, and click on the "e" to open the CAMERA GUI., separate from the GUI in the NVR, and that software is 4.0 (came out months ago). there were two threads going on this, so in the event someone searches this and has the same issues, they won't be left empty handed so i updated the first post in here: Can't change IP in New dahua 5208 NVR 4.0