New and Lost!

Rio1

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to set up a couple of cameras at our new home to see the driveway and the yard. The MOST important thing to me is to have a dedicated screen in the house to show me what the cameras see.

I plan on buying 2 bullet or torrent cameras and a matching brand NVR from BHPhoto. What else do I need?

How easy is it to set this stuff up technically?

And, most important... how do you find an installer to run the wires and actually place the cameras? I am a middle age woman, I can no longer climb around in the attic or be up on tall ladders but I still don't want to pay a fortune to a large company who will sell me the same product I can buy, rebrand it and charge me big $$$$ to install it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Rio1 Where are you located?

In the US, you could find an electrician that is certified for low voltage. The low voltage cert is important.
Not all electricians know what they are doing when it comes to low voltage, which is what we are talking about here.
Ask for references, and check the references.

Spend some time reading here so have an idea of what you want.

For cameras, these are hard to beat at the moment: Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
Purchase the same brand NVR as the cameras to keep things less complex.

Your goal is to not only see what happens, but be able to ID the cause.

Use this calculator to help you decide what you want to see, and where to properly place cameras.
Camera Calculator / Design Software keep PPF> 100 if you want to be able to ID people.