New and needing advice!

guyo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Netgear Prosafe PoE 24 port switch that I am trying to connect some ip cameras to. My netgear genie for the router shows all the devices as wired connections, but the netgear SmartControlCenter software that came with the switch to set it up with only shows the switch. I have tried the Discover button several times and have rebooted and reset the switch several times, to no avail. All the ports have blinking yellow leds. I am probably missing something simple,but cannot figure this thing out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a good chance the camera default IP address is not in the same subnet as your LAN.
Most camera models come with some sort of IP search utility, often specific to the particular camera.
Hikvision cameras, for example, have the SADP utility.
And usually the camera documentation, or even the label, specifies the initial default address.

You have not mentioned the brand or model of the cameras, so not a lot of info to enable a useful response.

guyo

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry, had been at it for too many hours. My head was getting a little fuzzy when I finally posted. I have a mixture of cameras. 4 Qcam, 3 Amcrest and 1 Dahua(not yet tried it ). My router genie(Also a netgear) shows the ip addresses for the cameras and shows them as a wired connection. Netgear has a program included with the switch that should show all devices attached to it. It only lists the switch. It allows web access to the switch which shows the ports that the cameras are on as active. I can go to the address of the amcrest cameras and view them with their included software. I am about to try and get hold of Netgear support to try and sort it out. Thank you for the help. All is appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My router genie(Also a netgear) shows the ip addresses for the cameras and shows them as a wired connection.
So what's the actual problem - I don't really follow.
If the cameras are showing as connected in the router, with IP addresses, you presumably can access each camera web GUI at its IP address with a browser.
but the netgear SmartControlCenter software that came with the switch to set it up with only shows the switch.
I have not looked at the user manual - but maybe this is only for switch management, and the discover is aimed at finding other switches, not what's on them. Just guessing.

guyo

n3wb
Reaction score
It is just for the switch. I don't know what I'm doing in setting up this system. I thought when I connected devices to the switch, that they would be visible to me on the switch's web page. I'm trying to set up a 6-8 ip camera system and put a nvr in the mix and get it to be visible to me before I tried something like Blue iris to manage it. Just trying to figure out the steps and order to do them. I do appreciate your help and hope I wasn't too confusing in my questions. Any advice welcomed.