New and needing guidance

vgolle

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, just introducing myself and feeling way around the threads to help me figure some things out. I have a Lorex NVR 900 and a pair of their 2k IP cams. Install went fine but OMG the Flir Cloud app, when I finally did get it to work, is pretty horrible. Have read similar reviews and then stumbled upon BlueIris software and this forum. I'm trying to figure out if or how that would work with an NVR. If so, can someone kindly direct me to some documentation on how to go about setting it up and also let me know if the BI app is much better option for me. Flir app is so poor, I'm considering returning the whole system. Thank you in advance

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, just introducing myself and feeling way around the threads to help me figure some things out. I have a Lorex NVR 900 and a pair of their 2k IP cams. Install went fine but OMG the Flir Cloud app, when I finally did get it to work, is pretty horrible. Have read similar reviews and then stumbled upon BlueIris software and this forum. I'm trying to figure out if or how that would work with an NVR. If so, can someone kindly direct me to some documentation on how to go about setting it up and also let me know if the BI app is much better option for me. Flir app is so poor, I'm considering returning the whole system. Thank you in advance
You can either stream from the NVR to blue iris or if you use an external switch you can stream from the cameras directly to blue iris as well as the NVR as backup if you wish.

vgolle

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. Can you explain a POE switch? Cams all POE into NVR now so couldn't I just put NVR IP address in BI and pull down cams from there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. Can you explain a POE switch? Cams all POE into NVR now so couldn't I just put NVR IP address in BI and pull down cams from there?
Yes you can...some NVR's have trouble streaming many streams to a third device...but if you just have a few cameras it will work. A quality 4 port poe switch is 60 dollars, this will allow the NVR and blue iris machine to be completely independent. Amazon.com: ZyXEL 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

vgolle

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.