New B5442-Z4E ….

Reaction score
Hello,

Ive just received this camera. I wired it to my wireless router for setup and the camera doesn’t show up on the devices list. Connecting to the camera directly from a web browser does not work either. So I guess my router doesn’t supply POE.

so I thought of connecting it to an external 12v DC source with some alligator clips but am wondering which pin is positive. My guess is the center is +ve, but want to be sure.

anybody know?
Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The router will not provide power. You need a POE injector, POE switch, or 12VDC power supply.

Here is how most of us get the cameras to the IP address of our system:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1665693944032.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home.

Plus you shouldn't have the camera go thru the router, but that is a whole other discussion...

Reaction score
The router will not provide power. You need a POE injector, POE switch, or 12VDC power supply.

Here is how most of us get the cameras to the IP address of our system:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

View attachment 142548

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home.

Plus you shouldn't have the camera go thru the router, but that is a whole other discussion...
Thanks. There’s some good info there but it seems a canned response as it doesn’t answer my question. I’m looking for the polarity of the DC plug for an external power supply.

Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you didn't know that routers do not provide power LOL, I am assuming (maybe incorrectly LOL), that your next question after getting power to the cameras is wondering why you can't see the camera on your system as that is usually the next question we get when someone then powers it up after trying to power it with the router first! (sorry just a bit of teasing LOL).

It uses a standard 12VDC source with the center as positive. I could be wrong as it has been awhile since I installed my 5442, but I thought the cable on the camera is marked as well.

Last edited:

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
TP-LINK 802.3af Gigabit PoE Injector | Convert Non-PoE to PoE Adapter | Auto Detects the Required Power, up to 15.4W | Plug & Play | Distance Up to 100 meters (328 ft.) | Black (TL-PoE150S)

$20 bucks on Amazon.

This would be a temporary solution while you determine what POE switch to buy.

These are also handy for testing and temporary setups.