New blue iris build, What processor would be best for my application?

Reaction score
Unfortunately you can't have dual consumer CPUs in one PC, and i7 and i9 are consumer models. You need to go with server-grade stuff like Intel Xeon or AMD Epyc if you want multiple processors in the machine. I don't know how well Blue Iris runs on dual processor systems, but I would not foresee any difficulties. You yourself were running it on such a system, so you should know more than I do about that.

In January a forum member @Tuckerdude did some comparisons between i9-7980XE and i7-8700K builds and found that the i9 was indeed capable of handling more video despite the lack of Quick Sync hardware acceleration. Whether it is worth the higher price or not, only you can decide. If interested, you can read more about that here and here.
Thanks, it was running well on our server for several years but we were not using it for anything else, then one day the decision was made to start using it for other tasks and that drove the cpu usage up (only slightly) and during this same time we outsourced our "IT" to an outside company. Ever since then we have had nothing but trouble from this machine and it crashes multiple times a day. Could all be coincidence and just have a processor or some ram going out due to age or whatever so the decision was made (out of frustration) to build the ultimate blue iris pc and keep it out of the reaches of our newly outsourced "IT" department. We may build another multi processor server in the near future if this build doesn't work out.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, it was running well on our server for several years but we were not using it for anything else, then one day the decision was made to start using it for other tasks and that drove the cpu usage up (only slightly) and during this same time we outsourced our "IT" to an outside company. Ever since then we have had nothing but trouble from this machine and it crashes multiple times a day. Could all be coincidence and just have a processor or some ram going out due to age or whatever so the decision was made (out of frustration) to build the ultimate blue iris pc and keep it out of the reaches of our newly outsourced "IT" department. We may build another multi processor server in the near future if this build doesn't work out.
The downfall was "then one day the decision was made to start using it for other tasks"