New blueiris computer, what should i do ?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am looking for a computer that runs my home automation software and blueiris.
The HA software is not very cpu hungry but the camera's will. (maybe 10 cams - 2-3-5 MP)
I want to keep the energy consumption the lowest as possible and reasonable money will buy.
That 0.5 Watt of saving against 100 € is not the effort.

A while ago i came up with this system:

Total : 546,89€

But, for not to much more money, few euro's i can buy this system also and its newer and as far i can see when i versus the cpus the skylake is a bit slower in frequency but faster with ram and lower power consumption.

Total : 549,17 €

As for a power supply i was looking into these,

And as harddisk for the recordings,

What would you do, or anyone that has a suggestion of a system that runs smooth and uses not to much power.
And would it be possible or safe to use this small pico psu ?

i am planning to use 5 Harddisks, let's say they need 5 watt Each.
5 x 5 = 25W
100% cpu of the T processor uses 35W max
Ram memory ? 5 Watt ?
motherboard ?

Then i am at 65Watts, the pico psu can produce 90 max.
Not sure what the motherboard chipset uses, planning to the onboard gpu with the cpu/gpu.
No Usb connections.

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Comments if you care about power consumption: BIGGER DISKS, 24/7 RECORDING (lower CPU load)

With 5*2TB purple in this for storage of 10 cams... giving 1TB each will net you almost 2 weeks of 24/7

5*4TB Purples would take pretty much the same power and you can fit almost a month and all your doing is saving files to disk without any further thought.. could be done under 40W easy.

2*5TB Purples would give you what your trying right now but for 10W instead of 25W, you know how multipliers work right?

PS: screw your little power supply, buy a real one for the love of god.. perhaps one that tells you the efficiency rating... #1 killer of Data and Silicon? Bad PSU

Last edited by a moderator:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ,

Sorry forgot the mention that i am not using any motion detection that is handled by blueiris.
Motion detection is by PIR and light barriers modules in and outside of the house that trigger the software to record.
And everything is set on direct to disk, framerate at 12 Fps - 15 Fps.

About the power supply, this is what i found at many builds for energy "gentle" systems hence i thought this would be a good choice then.
I have never actually looked into that, will search for some models , but if i understand correct when the CPU is limited to 35W, it can't draw more right ?
Why use a bigger psu if your usage is below the max specs ( from the whole system) of a psu ? even when the efficiency is good.

About the hard-disk, you are right indeed but i got already from my old system 4 hard disks that i want to put back into he server ( all red disks 3TB).
I thought about the purple hard disk because it is more suitable for constant writing/deleting,
Running for months of data on a 2TB disk with motion enabled so i thought this would be sufficient for the time being. ( 5 cams )
So 1 more purple disk for the recordings and then copy old recordings to a red disk.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah I thought this was a new build, apologies.. see where your working from.. good work on the physical sensors.. sounds like your load should be pretty reasonable.

yeah the size of the power supply has no effect on the amount of power drawn, you can get quality low output power supplies that dont involve a cheap ass power brick, those are rarely high efficiency, just cheap.. I hate running anything but laptops off those things. While I'll cheap out on CPU/Memory/HDD/Video/SSD from time to time, the things I will never cheap out on are Power Supplies and Network Interfaces.. for those I've learned the hard way that its just better off to pay a lil extra and always have quality.

Those PicoPSU's were originally designed for automotive CarComputer use, for some reason someone is selling them with a generic 12V power brick and calling them desktop supplies.. sigh, the regulator/plug part might be well designed but I would question that brick seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem,
i didn't explain well enough i think.

Yes i found this part as review but i see it is from 2006
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article601-page3.html

Guess there will be something better in 10 years of development , one thing though is that it is quite easy to make a UPS system when using a psu like this.
Hooking up a 12v battery and you're kind of done.
But the search will continue.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah if your making a solar powered security system this would be a good choice, if your wanting that to be an option I would just get the PicoPSU w/out the brick and then source a separate quality 12v source for mains backup.. probably a nice Xantrex battery bank charger.. but then you'd really be concerned with power consumption, because you could easily cut ur numbers in half and that would be worth the cost.

if your never going to recharge it with a DC source then your better off with an off the shelf UPS... DIY UPS's are more for those running off 5v or less, because there are soo many cheap batteries you can get your hands on.. doing a PC might as well keep to PC UPS's, cost wise its hard to beat and 120vac is going to be the main source.