New budget friendly thermal camera

DahuaCEEN

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

What is your opinion about new Dahua bugdet friendly thermal camera line?
There are two cameras, bullet and dome.

4Mpx visual + 256 × 192 thermal sensor (VOx, not some cheap and poor aSI)

My team prepared some videos to show performance and possibilities. In our opinion, this will be the future of professional CCTV and we see that in some countries in Europe (Poland, Czech, Hungary) people are starting to switch to this kind of solution for areas without light, with bushes or where the area is so big, that you need many standard cameras.

Here is a sample video with analytics:

And human detection during night, compared with standard camera.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is nice to see the resolution on low-end models slowly go up like this, although the price is going to have to get a lot lower than $650 before these cameras become especially popular. When I posted late last year about a (presumably temporary) price drop putting thermal hybrid cams under $300 each, very few people were interested. These models have been in the $600-800 range for years and I assumed the price drop was not going to last long, but I can still find posglobal and jmac offering thermal hybrids at the reduced prices. Having purchased and tried all 3 lens varieties, I am really happy with them and have no reason to believe Dahua's newest implementation would not be just as good or better. It is just the price tag that hurts.

DahuaCEEN

n3wb
Reaction score
True, thermal cameras ARE more expensive than normal - from the same manufacturer. This camera price is similar to AXIS or Bosch standard bullet camera. But here you get thermal lens "for free" :)
Also, people buy radars for PTZ cameras, to cover more ground and radar cost much more ;) This camera costs less than good smartphone or TV. I think that there are people willing to pay more for their security, than they pay for stuff that they need to protect ;)

btb601

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plus, spending that kind of coin on low res, low refresh......nope not me. The thermal world sales are like laptops. (if you'll know what I mean)
Until then, I be in in a heartbeat, love me some thermal.

btb601

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
These cams do 25-30 FPS with the thermal sensor so they can provide smooth video. Although they might pause every once in a while for a fraction of a second as they refresh their calibration. That is how my Hik models work.
You have any video with these cams?

btb601

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't understand, what is the point of these cameras? You don't see the persons face anyway.
It's not about seeing a face, it's seeing what is out there when IR fails to see something. How many times have you had a visitor appear out of nowhere, person or animal. This will see it, unless it behind something. Thermal can't see thru wall, glass, trees, etc. But if something alive is out in the open in the cams view, you're gonna see it.

Reaction score
I don't understand, what is the point of these cameras? You don't see the persons face anyway.
I suspect this would be a bigger deal for motion detection, even if there isn't enough light to see the person/animal/car etc. For me, it fits more into "neat" and since they are more expensive I just have too many other options for regular cameras before I get to these. I want to try one at my vacant property because there is very little natural light, to see if people are milling around and up to no good.

If my house backed up to a forest or empty field where there was no real light, I might pickup some interesting indications of animals even if they occurred just outside light/IR range.
If someone was hiding or in the dark you might detect them (remember recently the lady with the "fake delivery" where the thugs were hiding in the bushes and might have been spotted by something like a thermal).
If a car just recently arrived on scene it would also be hotter than surrounding vehicles.

btb601

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I suspect this would be a bigger deal for motion detection, even if there isn't enough light to see the person/animal/car etc. For me, it fits more into "neat" and since they are more expensive I just have too many other options for regular cameras before I get to these.

If my house backed up to a forest or empty field where there was no real light, you might pickup some interesting indications of animals, or if someone was hiding or in the dark you might detect them (remember recently the lady with the "fake delivery" where the thugs were hiding in the bushes and might have been spotted by something like a thermal).
Same here, I live out in the woods and have a dirt access road for neighbors next to me. Every now and then, I've needed thermal to see what's going on. Every so often, we get some excitement around here. Plus I mostly have my cams up to watch my animals and the wild critters to. Not to mention doing some varmint control.
It's was pitch black here, however the house next to me just sold and the new neighbors turned on a street light on their utility pole. Thermal would still be a big help and would have some already if it weren't for high cost. I've been wanting a rifle scope, a good one and a good one is out of my price range.

Reaction score
I also suspect that these cameras would be better at rejecting lots of things that trigger BI motion detection today (sudden light changes, waving trees, etc), some of the motion detection/line crossing/AI also try to help in this area, but if your primary concern is animals/people/cars those would all produce some good thermal signatures is my guess.

I like this concept of a combo camera (thermal + regular video), because it kind of tackles the fringe need (thermal), and camera need in a single camera. Definitely interested, but price and need haven't reached that critical crossing point yet for me living in the city.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GuitarKin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspect this would be a bigger deal for motion detection, even if there isn't enough light to see the person/animal/car etc. For me, it fits more into "neat" and since they are more expensive I just have too many other options for regular cameras before I get to these. I want to try one at my vacant property because there is very little natural light, to see if people are milling around and up to no good.

If my house backed up to a forest or empty field where there was no real light, I might pickup some interesting indications of animals even if they occurred just outside light/IR range.
If someone was hiding or in the dark you might detect them (remember recently the lady with the "fake delivery" where the thugs were hiding in the bushes and might have been spotted by something like a thermal).
If a car just recently arrived on scene it would also be hotter than surrounding vehicles.
Hello,

This camera does not regognize animals at all. It only detect human and vehicle shapes. Motion detect works with animals but not IVS-lines/rules.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hello,

This camera does not regognize animals at all. It only detect human and vehicle shapes. Motion detect works with animals but not IVS-lines/rules.

For hunter/watch animals ;)
1614146815603.png
1614146832129.png