New build 40 cameras 4K , what would you do ?

Cire3

n3wb
Reaction score
I kicked the RAID idea as I have rebuilt many RAID systems. Trying to rebuild a RAID that's writing as this will is insane.

Been building systems and own my own store for over 20 years. I'm newish to BI, not at all new to the game. I have worked on thousands of systems (no joke) and have seen 1 failed Intel CPU, and just recently 1 AMD 5950X. It is not at all the norm. I have serviced and repaired hundreds of servers. Again no bad CPU's. High end motherboards do quite well as they take advantage of great power delivery and continue to come a long way. What do we need to help achieve this ? Good clean power, power delivery, keep it cool and clean.

I'm typing on a ASUS Maximus VI Hero i7-4970K that's been running 24/7 for about 6-7 years now. Yea, it lost a PS and I was down for about 1 hour in that time. Did that make it not worth not building? Not at all in "my" opinion. I have 1000's of hours on it gaming alone ( I have a 5 digit Steam ID to show my age ) CS Beta anyone ? Oh, and it's running my 3090 FTW3 Ultra just fine. Runs all my VM's I need, Backs up my 3 X ESXi Server's (running ASUS Tuff boards, and AMD Bulldozers for 6+ years now without fail so also worth building ) Veaam Backups hourly, it's a work horse. This isn't a fluke if you take care of stuff and keep an eye on it. Temp controlled environment, keep clean, good UPS, etc...

Do I recommend consumer grade for everything ? Not at all as I'm a huge fan of re-purposing servers as it can save money on many jobs. However what kind of power and heat will 2 X HP DL380 GEN9's create ? (just an example as I have 2 of them as a FOG server, and Truenas Storage) Answer is a shit ton for the area I have to have this installed. Not to mention the noise. I don't consider that a good fit.

So having a camera system go down for a day is worth not having one at all ? That would be news to me and my client. I could ask him to spend even more money and twice the power over it's lifetime to save that day, but I already got his answer. That seems a bit silly to me and we have had that conversation. Remember you need to cool that heat given off and that also hits the bottom line hard with prices on energy going up.

Rebooting a system for a drive is that big of a deal ? This isn't a database environment with 400 people working on it that I can't switch it off. That 5 minutes after hours doesn't kill the operation. Knowing what area is down would be the important part. Do we want a good system that runs well... Yes, however lets be realistic. Do I need a UPS that runs for 3 days in case he looses power for that long ? How about a 30K natural gas generator just in case ? I wouldn't think so, but again this is up to him. Instead we come up with something he's comfortable with. I present options and educate as that is my job. From there my clients have packages that fit their needs and they are happy with knowing that risk Vs reward.

I came here as I'm new to BI, and I like to get different options and theory's as I have heard some that are very helpful. As well as some that I have seen go bad in my years. I would rather lose 7 cameras on 1 drive then an entire raid due to not being able to rebuild it or lose another trying to do so. Yes, seen that happen as well after warning those 2 guys before nuking the system they were "repairing". And with the cost of drives and wanting 60Tb storage, a raid10 is insane at this moment in time. Will this change in 1 or 2 years ? I bet it does, and we can look over RAID cards at that point. I NEVER suggested on-board raid. I'm i the business of keeping data if possible. If I use a RAID card, it's with battery, config backup and a spare raid card for as cheap as you can get them now.

What was pointed out is that the i9 does have good numbers and they are confirmed by BI. I don't need to guess that part as it's their words. It also provides quick sync, something we also know is good. Why would I overlook that ? One thing I have Iearned in this business is everyone has an opinion, and it's better than yours....lol

I have done quite well in my 20 years in my shop. I don't at all claim to know it all, but look for experience in those that have used this system. I don't get worked up on the internet as I know my work over the years has been good. We retain a great deal of business clients. I figure I have to be doing something right when 6 other computer shops closed near me in the time I been around.

Thanks for your point of view as I do see value in looking at it from all angles.

I will provide my findings along the way and let everyone know in hopes of it helping someone else :)

No popcorn necessary for me.... Also being a first responder I have seen real emergency's, and this isn't one of them ;) It's a camera system.

Again thanks to all trying to help out, it has provided a great deal of value.

Cire3

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh, as an example from SouthernYankee

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.

Was great advise , well spotted, and spot on.