New build CAT6 camera cabling through a wall

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I set off the fire alarm at the Condo when the block dust was pulled into the Lobby Smoke detectors from the vacuum created by the Pool Room exhaust system from the Garage parking into the Lobby.
Nardini fire gave me some caps to put over the lobby detectors. Opened the sliding doors to the Pool room to take away the vacuum in the building.
Made me think twice about Orbital sanding my Joint Compound wall repairs in the Elevator Garbage chute rooms in lobbies of each floor after pulling 6 runs up thru 3 floors.
I never got around to finishing them before I left. :wave:

Last edited:

Moley8

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW before dot and dab you could use some UPVC flat channel/conduit from screwfix, it will take round cat5 or 6, with some clips before plastering to protect it a bit. Or down cavity? i presume outside to be rendered so once cable outside protect it from elements till render done. But i no nothing still learning

haz87

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking for any advice or help, thanks. . We have been rebuilding our house and I am now going to add cabling for the external IP CCTV cameras.

I am intending to drop the cables down the internal wall from the ceiling and then just drill out through the concrete wall bocks to where I am going to mount them externally. The internal wall will then be covered in plasterboard and the cables hidden.

Is this the best way or are there alternatives?

Should I terminate the cable internally just before I run it through the wall in some sort of wall box hidden behind the plasterboard.
Or
Should I add a network point on the internal wall near to where the cable is going out of the wall and use a patch cable to go through the wall? Would give me more flexibility and prevent issues with the cable in the future.
Or
Just run it down the internal wall and then out through the wall and stop over thinking it?

For example in this room there will be 2 cameras mounted on the other sides of the walls.
View attachment 179597
Hi,
Am in the UK also. Did something similar where we did a loft conversion on a bungalow resulting in the whole house being refurbished. It gave me the opportunity to run multiple network points to each room and around 4 points where the TV's were being mounted.

For CCTV cameras, I just ran 2 cables to each location and then fitted a junction box outside. The camera cable went inside the junction box and wired to the network cable from the patch panel. The spare cable will come handy for extra camera, lighting, sensors etc or even backup for the existing cable. It's going to cost you pennies now compared to the headache, time and money if you need to run a new cable later.

Cheers.

Haz

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're overthinking it - drop cables down internal wall, drill through external leaf.

I'd be tempted to run secondary cables down for internal network points at the same locations. This would then define 'zones' where the cables have been dropped so it's then clear that there are cables behind the plasterboard.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since cinder block has an R rating less than 2, it would be a very big improvement to properly insulate the block wall.
The house was built in 1983 and the cinder block walls were not insulated, but it passed code inspections and most Florida houses are built that way. Perhaps things are done differently today given the new "Green Certified" building standards.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I set off the fire alarm at the Condo when the block dust was pulled into the Lobby Smoke detectors from the vacuum created by the Pool Room exhaust system from the Garage parking into the Lobby.
Nardini fire gave me some caps to put over the lobby detectors. Opened the sliding doors to the Pool room to take away the vacuum in the building.
Made me think twice about Orbital sanding my Joint Compound wall repairs in the Elevator Garbage chute rooms in lobbies of each floor after pulling 6 runs up thru 3 floors.
I never got around to finishing them before I left. :wave:
You troublemaker.....!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The way cinder blocks are made, drilling through the mortar joint could cause the block to crack. I always drill where the open voids are in the block which is less prone to crack and doesn't affect the structural integrity of the block on the side edges or in the center. I've drilled a lot of block in Florida installing conduit, electrical boxes, and dryer vents.
When left with no option, I've done a few 3/8" and smaller holes successfully which is confined to the mortar joint but I wouldn't go larger than that, or drill/chip part of the block next to a joint or drill more than one hole into any one joint....that's asking for trouble.

I drill all holes bigger than 3/8" straight through the block, either side of the block's cast-in middle support, basically centered on either side of the vertical support. Even then I haven't needed to go larger than 3/4".

I actually prefer to run CAT cable in a 3/8" hole and through the hollow part as described in the previous paragraph; it's an easy, quick hole to drill and I can poke an old metal coat hanger right through both holes, straightened to make a fish wire with the CAT cable taped to the end.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Other insulation requirements in Florida include the following:

• Framed wall insulation – at least R13
  • Interior insulation in block walls – at least R7.8
  • Exterior insulation in block walls – R6
  • Ceiling insulation – higher than R30
Some two-story Florida houses are built with cinder block for the first floor and then typical wood framing on the upper story. Mine was a single story house with cinder block construction and Stucco finish on the outside. The wall studs were metal so it was easy to run cable or you could even gut the entire inside for remodeling since there were no load bearing walls to worry about because it was basically a square concrete shell with a roof.