New build needs new cameras

adawg88

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all. About to get started on a new home build (I wrote last year, but we delayed a year) and am on the hunt for some cameras for the house. I have a number of older Starlight Dahuas that are now 6 or so years old that performed well, but will need replaced with newer technology.

So…my question is what are the best/hottest cameras on the market in the sub-$200 each price point? The house is a larger ranch and backs to state land. The wife doesn’t want a million cameras all over the place, but also wants the security of it all.

I’m lucky in that my employer is doing all the low-voltage work for me and will be setting up a rack in the basement, so we are good there — just down to what cameras are best.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I believe this might be the current latest greatest budget Dahua (EmpireTech) at your price point if you want fixed focal.

IPC-T54IR-AS-S3

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you used old starlight Dahua cams and want to upgrade - the best solution in Dahua 5442 line (aka 54IR)

It is 4 mpx cam with big very good 1/1.8” sensor.
It contains all modern AI functions (filtering for people and cars in SMD and IVS, etc).
Previous revisions was called StarLight+, last one (-S3 aka WizMind-S) is called DeepLight.
It is avail in bullet and turret chassis, with fixed (cheaper) or Varifocal (zoom) optics.

these are best performing cams at night and most popular here in forum

You can find turrets:

you can find bullets:

adawg88

n3wb
Reaction score
This is helpful. If I wanted to go a step up from here, what should I consider for cameras?