New build rack setup: Run two switches?

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a new house prewired for a rack setup. Let me describe my plan and tell me if this will work or if their is a better way.

All ethernet & cameras wire to rack. I estimate 24 ports necessary for current a future general networking (modem, access points, tv's, pc's, etc.) and 12+ for current and future cameras (including switch input & blue iris pc).

I run a pfSense box and will have multiple VLANs. I will want the entire camera system on a dedicated VLAN.

My thinking leads me to buying a 24 port MANAGED switch for the general networking items and then using one port of the switch with a VLAN to connect a 12+ port POE switch dedicated to the camera system.

Is this the right way? I just see a large 48 port managed POE switch as overkill.

Finally, is there a general watt recommendation for IP cameras? For sizing the appropriate POE switch power size.

thanks

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I started put with a 16 port POE switch and 2 years later I now need another. I would leave room for expansion as security cameras are addictive!

I have the same issue with my 24 port unmanaged switch. I only have one port left!

cdogg44

n3wb
Reaction score
I started put with a 16 port POE switch and 2 years later I now need another. I would leave room for expansion as security cameras are addictive!

I have the same issue with my 24 port unmanaged switch. I only have one port left!
With this being a new build I was able to wire for just about everything I could think of. And my switch sizes are allowing about 20% for future expansion. But definitely good advice!

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For me I have an advanced smart home implementation. Running north of 50 sensors.
I can't stand tvs that are wireless due to occasional pixelation so I hard patched them all.

My thermostat requires a cat5
I have 2 NAS that require cat5
My home theater receiver and Blu-ray both take cat5
Several rokus, each use cat5
Homeseer and BI take 2
Each sonos amp takes a cat5 (4 of those with 4 more on the way)
My whole house sound system requires cat5 (being phased out in favor of sonos, but each piece of sonos requires a cat5)
Plus all the computers (3) jacked in

I do have a full Orbi mesh network (three satellites), but I always prefer hard patch whenever possible. I am a tech junkie!