New camera. Turret or dome or another brand?

Kis222

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've had a Hikvision DS-2CD2145F-IS for a few years and apart from it not being able to recognise the difference between rain and people (at night) it has been ok.
Unfortunately one of the screws snapped and now it won't seal correctly, despite my attempt using sealant. The camera still works but water gets in. I have tried to extract the snapped bolt but can't.

So I need a replacement. What is the best camera for around £100 for my needs? Would a turret camera be better than the dome I currently have? Is there a better brand/make?

Details.
It sits outside looking at the driveway on a bracket. High enough to avoid vandalism, not the rain.
It connects via ethernet and powers with POe.
I use the input to connect my alarm bell via a relay, I don't use the sound.
I save to an onboard SD card.
I view using the VMS app and RTSP via VLC. Would like to view on a smart TV too.

1650374462730.png

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes a turret would be better than a dome outdoors. The amount of rain clinging to the turret lens is much less than that of a dome.

That camera is not on an ideal MP/sensor ratio. That camera is 4MP on the 1/2.8" sensor, so a 2MP would perform much better at night.

Look for:

2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor
4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor
8MP on a 1/1.2" sensor

Anything other than that, and it could struggle at night.

@EMPIRETECANDY is a trusted vendor here and serves UK well. Here is his Amazon and Aliexpress link, so look for a turret on one of those MP/sensor ratios and in your price range and you will be pleased.

He sells Dahua and Hikvision OEM, but they are full blown legit cameras, you just are not paying of the logo.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kis222

n3wb
Reaction score
Given that the old camera struggled in the rain at night, would anyone recommend the ColorVu technology that Hikvision does?
There is street lighting on my road and I have outdoor lights on the house also.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind the colorvu camera still needs light - simple physics. If you don't have enough light, it will be blind and you cannot add infrared as the camera won't see it. Or if you can get it in color, then motion is a blur because the shutter has to be set too low in order to see.

Here is a thread of many where people purchased a full color type camera thinking it is magic and was disappointed:

But if you have some ambient light, it can work very well. But it does need light.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Also remember that "color vu", "full color" and "starlight", and all those other terms, are just that...terms thought up by a marketing department and have absolutely zero technical meaning. Any camera that allows adjustment of exposure time, shutter speed, can produce a color picture at night. The problem is the shutter speed is so low that any motion is just a blur. Color, with good motion capture, at night still needs some light.

Kis222

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems there are mixed results from the colorvu but I don't fancy the slow shutter speed blur issue.
Here is the scene, only night picture I had, from the old camera. you can see the lights on the drive and tree. There are also wall lights under the camera.

1650381111241.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What shutter speed is that at? If that is default settings and snow, then no way ColorVu will work in that location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can make a $20 cheap camera look like noon when it is midnight.

That video has ZERO useful information in it.

He has no real motion in that video, so we have ZERO idea what that shutter is. He indicates in comments that he is running this at default settings. Well any camera can look bright on default settings. If it is 1/3s, then yeah it can be nice and bright, but then motion is a blur.

So one time he does move his arm down and you freeze it:

1650460086612.png

His arm is blurry and his hand is missing. That is indicative of a very slow shutter.

1650460223646.png

Post a picture from your existing camera with the shutter speed at 1/120s and we can give you a better idea.

But based on your existing photo that was taken during snow (when it is naturally brighter due to reflection and cameras perform better), that image looks kinda dark and if your camera is on auto/default settings and it didn't kick into color with snow on the ground, I would be concerned that ColorVu will struggle in that Field of View if your objective is to be able to IDENTIFY and freeze frame a video to get a blur free video. Most of us our cameras kick into color with snow on the ground. Snow is great for surveillance cameras LOL.

Or don't believe us that have used ColorVu type cameras and posted videos or images once taken off auto/default settings in order to actually get usable video at night and buy it.

Last edited: