New Cameras and Server Build

eptesicus

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not new to building computers, but I am quite new to surveillance systems. I've been helping my dad with his for my folk's new house, and we've decided on the following:

Cameras:
8x Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I
4x Hikvision DS-2CD2642FWD-IZS

We're going to be using 2x of the 2024's for inside the 40x60 enclosed pole barn, but am open to suggestions if there are better alternatives for the money. We're also looking for good Wi-Fi cameras to setup in the house for when my folks are away. Any suggestions here?

We also currently only have 1x 2042 that we've been using for testing, but are about to order the rest.

Surveillance Server:
CPU: Xeon E3-1241v3
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 250GB
HDD: 4x 4TB WD Purple (Raid 5)

The server is a little overkill, I know. But, I have the host OS installed on the SSD, with a large portion of it partitioned for VMs. The camera software that we've decided to try out is Hikvision's own iVMS-4200 (v2), since it's free and has plenty of features. I tried Blue Iris for an afternoon, but abandoned it once I found iVMS. We might go to that or XProtect if we have issues with iVMS. Anyway, the client and storage server are both installed and running on a VM (using Hyper-V), and the large RAID array for camera storage is a mapped drive from the host, and has been formatted using the iVMS-4200 software. After figuring out how to get constant and motion recording setup, it appears to work well.

The plan is to have at least 30 days of video retention, and have all of the cameras setup for motion detection. However, I'd like to have the ability to pre-record 5-10 seconds or so before it records from motion detection. I see that the software has the ability to do so, however I am unable to get it to pre-record. Is there a trick to this?

Also, when using playback, the software throws an error when I press the reverse play button. Ideas here?
Cam1 Playback failed! Error Code HCNetSDK.dll[23]. (Not supported.)

What's the difference between iVMS-4200 and the paid version, iVMS-5200?

Thanks for the help. I know that I'm going to have more questions when I work with the cameras and software some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

eptesicus

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, it appears that in playback, the videos play slower than what they should. At 1x speed, it's about half speed. 2x speed is still slower than actual speed. 4x is close to normal, and then 8x is ludicrous speed. The smaller the video window, the closer to the correct speed it actually is. Is this because the server doesn't have a dedicated video card? I know that if I had a video card in the server, I won't get any benefit while using Hyper-V. We're planning on also having iVMS installed on a good desktop for playback. The server is more for saving and storing the recorded video.