New CCTV Install - Mixed 2mp IP Cam Setup and DVR Advice - Coax Conversion

Reaction score
I'm new to this game, but confident enough to dive straight in feet first.

I've recently bought a huisun ptz mk1 10x ptz, and fallen in love. That said my friend has asked me to help him to upgrade his aging analogue cctv system in his pub, and looking at the prices of cams from Chinese suppliers, I'm confident we can do it for somewhere between £600-£800. Problem being the old school wiring which would inhibit the IP system. I've seen cat5 over coax converters which also allow poe, but not sure how well they perform. So I guess I'm reaching out for advice to help me overcome a few unknowns.

Firstly, what would be the best value onvif compatible fixed dome cams, 2mp 1080p poe?
Next, similar to above, but outdoor fixed bullet cams - same spec.
Best value, 16ch NVR.
Best value cat5 to RG59b converters / 4/8 channel decoders.

Anyone with some experience or knowledge in tihis area, I'd love to know your thoughts..

Thanks in advance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm new to this game, but confident enough to dive straight in feet first.

I've recently bought a huisun ptz mk1 10x ptz, and fallen in love. That said my friend has asked me to help him to upgrade his aging analogue cctv system in his pub, and looking at the prices of cams from Chinese suppliers, I'm confident we can do it for somewhere between £600-£800. Problem being the old school wiring which would inhibit the IP system. I've seen cat5 over coax converters which also allow poe, but not sure how well they perform. So I guess I'm reaching out for advice to help me overcome a few unknowns.

Firstly, what would be the best value onvif compatible fixed dome cams, 2mp 1080p poe?
Next, similar to above, but outdoor fixed bullet cams - same spec.
Best value, 16ch NVR.
Best value cat5 to RG59b converters / 4/8 channel decoders.

Anyone with some experience or knowledge in tihis area, I'd love to know your thoughts..

Thanks in advance.
Dont use converters...it will cost about the same to get someone to pull quality ethernet cable..

Reaction score
I agree! But apparently the council won't allow it. 16th century pub and all that.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree! But apparently the council won't allow it. 16th century pub and all that.
Interesting, how did they get permission the first time?
Its might be easier to simply use a CVI/TVI HD dvr..

Reaction score
First time round, previous owner didn't ask permission and just did the install. This time the building has been listed and the owner is concious not to make matters worse. Personally, I'd prefer not to use converters. If I can get a HD system using coax I'd go for it, but where to start looking.. ahd dvrs, cams etc...?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First time round, previous owner didn't ask permission and just did the install. This time the building has been listed and the owner is concious not to make matters worse. Personally, I'd prefer not to use converters. If I can get a HD system using coax I'd go for it, but where to start looking.. ahd dvrs, cams etc...?
CVI is Dahua...TVI is hikvision (mostly, but its licensed out)...You can get 1080p over both.....

Reaction score
Right, I'm on it.. thanks for the advice... always good to check-in and ask for a 2nd opinion. Thanks again.